1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conditional probability problem

1. Mar 16, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

This is in fact an example with solutions. but I don't understand the solutions. So I am here to ask for explanation.

Details are;

In a city there are equal number of gentleman and ladies. 10% of gentleman are regarded as "good-looking" while 10% of ladies regarded as "good-looking". People form couples randomly.

Given that a member of a couple is good-looking, find the probability that the other member is also good-looking

2. Relevant equations

They first define
    G: set of good looking gentleman
    L: set of good looking ladies

then i start to confuse here..........

P(the other is good-looking AND a member is good-looking)
    = P((L and G)and(L Union G))
    = P(L and G)

P(a member is good looking)
    =P(L Union G)
    =.......

3. The attempt at a solution

the solution and the problem is an example of conditional probability stated in the materials
    but... i just don't understand

In my opinion, since the first member of a couple is GIVEN to be good-looking while people form couple randomly, then it should mean that a good looking member will not have a higher or less chance of finding a good-looking member to form couple. Then why it is a conditional probability?

Last edited: Mar 16, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2012 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Be very, very careful about wording: the question did not say "first member of a couple..." (those were *your* words), it just said "a member of a couple...". Believe it or not, that makes all the difference in the world!

Consider a related case that might be easier to work with: say we toss two fair coins once. Outcomes are of the form HH,HT,TH,TT, where these are for coin1, coin2 in that order. If I ask: "given that the first coin shows heads, what is the probability the second coin show heads", the answer would be 1/2. If I ask "given that one coin shows heads, what is the probability that the other coin shows heads" the answer would be 1/3. A similar type of thing is occurring in this problem.

RGV

4. Mar 16, 2012 #3
    yes, but the problem is, they choose another to couple RANDOMLY. A given good looking member will not have higher or less chance coupling with another one who is either good-looking or not. Imagine a good looking member, he/she has 10% chance of coupling a good looking member too. Isn't it? if not, I really dont undesrtad what is meant by "random"

5. Mar 16, 2012 #4
    I would suggest you draw a tree diagram. It is often much easier to figure these types of problems out if you have something to help you visualize.

6. Mar 16, 2012 #5

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Go back to my two-coins example, as it is a bit easier to work with. Again, the list of possible outcomes is HH, HT, TH, TT, all equally likely. You pick one of these 4 outcomes at random, and it happens to have a H in it (that is, it is not the outcome TT). So, you must have picked either HH, HT or TH, and they are still equally likely. So, having observed an 'H' as a result of a random choice, there is now a 1/3 chance you chose HH---after all, it is the one out of three equally likely options.

RGV

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook