Conductive Heat Loss in a house

In summary, the heat loss for a house is proportional to the temperature difference between the inside and outside. The equation for this is Power = k * (Tinside-Toutside), where k represents a constant value that depends on the units for temperature, the material of the house, and its insulation. To find the percentage by which the heat loss would decrease if the inside temperature is reduced from 73°F to 67°F while the outside temperature is 21°F, you can use a ratio and remember to use absolute units for temperature. The value of k can be expressed in both Celsius and Kelvin, as they give the same answer. However, the value of k is not given in the problem and needs to be calculated.
plexxity

Homework Statement

If only conductive heat loss was significant for a house, then by what percentage would you lower the heat loss if the temperature was reduced inside from 73°F to 67°F, when the outside temperature is 21°F? (Hint: Try using a ratio.)

Homework Equations

Unknown

The Attempt at a Solution

I do NOT want the solution just need to know what formula i should use to find the answer.

possibly a example problem but NOT the answer please, i want to learn how to do it.

Physics news on Phys.org
The heat loss is proportional to the temperature difference.
So as an equation you would write Power = k * (Tinside-Toutside)
The value of K would depend on your units for temperature, the material the house is made of and it's insulation - the important point is that k does not change.

Remember as well that you need T in absolute units.

mgb_phys said:
The heat loss is proportional to the temperature difference.
So as an equation you would write Power = k * (Tinside-Toutside)
The value of K would depend on your units for temperature, the material the house is made of and it's insulation - the important point is that k does not change.

Remember as well that you need T in absolute units.

But because the power is proportional to the temperature difference you can express the temperatures in Celcius as well as kelvin.Both give the same answer.

Thanks you guys are awesome

Could someone give me the answer the this problem? I have a similar problem and need help.

so what would the value of k be then? that's what i can't figure out.

i have Power=k(19.4C-(-6.1C))

k isn't given in the problem?

What is conductive heat loss?

Conductive heat loss is the transfer of heat through a solid material, such as walls, floors, or windows. It occurs when there is a difference in temperature between two materials in contact with each other.

How does conductive heat loss affect a house?

Conductive heat loss can significantly impact a house's energy efficiency and comfort levels. It can result in higher energy bills as the heating system must work harder to maintain a comfortable temperature. It can also cause cold spots, drafts, and uneven heating throughout the house.

What are some common causes of conductive heat loss in a house?

Some common causes of conductive heat loss in a house include poorly insulated walls and roofs, gaps or cracks in the building's envelope, and single-pane windows. Other factors such as air leaks, outdated heating systems, and inadequate ventilation can also contribute to conductive heat loss.

How can conductive heat loss be prevented?

To prevent conductive heat loss, it is essential to have proper insulation in the walls, attic, and floors of a house. Seal any gaps or cracks in the building's envelope, and consider upgrading to double or triple-pane windows. Regular maintenance of heating and ventilation systems can also help prevent heat loss.

Can conductive heat loss be reduced in an existing house?

Yes, conductive heat loss can be reduced in an existing house through various methods such as adding insulation, sealing air leaks, and upgrading windows. However, the most effective way to reduce conductive heat loss is to have a professional energy audit and make targeted improvements based on the findings.