Confidence integrals when n is small

• Thread starter TaliskerBA
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrals
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of confidence intervals and how it applies to a specific example of poker results. The speaker has a contradiction in their understanding of 95% confidence intervals and how they relate to their sample size. The listener explains that confidence intervals are based on the assumption of a normally distributed population and that for small sample sizes, a t distribution should be used. The standard deviation estimate for a t distribution is also mentioned.
TaliskerBA
Should Say Intervals.. I'm tired...

I am probably going wrong somewhere but I am running into problems with understanding this. My understanding of a 95% confidence interval is that in a sample of n the sample mean is 95% likely to be within 1.96 standard errors of the actual mean. I have a problem because I think I have an example where this isn't true.

I play a bit of online poker and have been playing around with my results to help me grasp some of these concepts and it is with my poker results I get the contradiction.

In 425 games I have won 58 for $51.50 profit, come 2nd in 53 for $24.50 profit, come 3rd in 41 for $11 profit and not cashed in 273 for -$16. With these figures I work out:

sample mean = $0.87
sample variance = 614
standard deviation = $24.77

So, here is my problem. Say I play another tournament (ie. n=1), based on this sample there is a 58/425 = 13.6% chance that I win $51.50 but a 95% confidence interval states that:

Pr(0.87 - 1.96*24.77 < X < 0.87 + 1.96*24.77) = 0.95

Pr(-47.7<X<49.4) = 0.95

So it suggests that I am 95% likely to have a result that yields me less than $49.40 even though I already know I am 13.6% likely to win $51.50...

I presume it's all to do with n being small but my notes don't give any acknowledgment that confidence intervals aren't completely sound when n is small. Where am I going wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
TaliskerBA said:
Say I play another tournament (ie. n=1)

No no no. You need to talk about http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prediction_interval" for your example.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is X really an (approximately) normally distributed random variable?

pwsnafu said:
No no no. You need to talk about http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prediction_interval" for your example.

That is useful to know, but the notation in this example still claims that Pr(-47.7<X<49.4) = 0.95 which clearly doesn't work when n=1. My notes state that over many repetitions of sampling then 95% of intervals will include X, but what if all samples were of size n=1? Or are the samples sizes themselves random as well (in which case this would most likely work)..?

* Edit. I think I understand now, thanks for your help.

Hurkyl said:
Is X really an (approximately) normally distributed random variable?

I think I get your point now. It's not a normally distributed RV because I have dictated what the sample size should be. Right?

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by a moderator:
TaliskerBA said:
I think I get your point now. It's not a normally distributed RV because I have dictated what the sample size should be. Right?

Thanks for your help.

No. Sample size is almost always stated a priori. To calculate confidence intervals, you must assume the random sample came from a normally distributed population. Confidence intervals for small samples (typically less than 30) may be estimated from the t score. The standard deviation estimate is based on the number of degrees of freedom.

The standard deviation estimate for the t distribution is [tex] \sqrt{\frac {n}{n - 2}}[/tex]. You can use a t test table to get the relation between the standard deviation (or just n) and the confidence limits. As with the Z score, confidence intervals extending 2 sd from the mean are considered acceptable for most applications.

EDIT: More specifically to your question the CI is [tex]\bar X \pm_{Z_{\alpha/2}} \sigma/ \sqrt {n}[/tex] if n is at least 8.

Last edited:

1. What is a confidence interval when n is small?

A confidence interval is a range of values calculated from a sample of data that is believed to contain the true population parameter with a certain level of confidence. When n, the sample size, is small, the confidence interval may be wider, meaning there is more uncertainty in the estimate of the population parameter.

2. How does a small sample size affect confidence intervals?

A small sample size can lead to wider confidence intervals because there is less data available to accurately estimate the population parameter. This means there is a higher chance that the true value of the parameter falls outside of the calculated confidence interval.

3. Can confidence intervals be calculated when n is small?

Yes, confidence intervals can still be calculated when n is small. However, it is important to note that the wider the confidence interval, the less precise the estimate of the population parameter will be.

4. How can I improve the accuracy of confidence intervals when n is small?

One way to improve the accuracy of confidence intervals when n is small is to increase the sample size. This will provide more data points and decrease the margin of error in the estimate of the population parameter.

5. Why is it important to consider the sample size when interpreting confidence intervals?

The sample size is an important factor to consider when interpreting confidence intervals because it affects the precision and accuracy of the estimate of the population parameter. A larger sample size will result in a more reliable estimate, while a smaller sample size may lead to a less accurate estimate and wider confidence intervals.