Confirm V=fx Meaning with Springs and Waves - 65 Characters

  • Thread starter Thread starter AATroop
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
AATroop
Messages
30
Reaction score
2
Stupid question, tried googling it but was unsuccessful (you'd think it'd be easy to find...)
Also, my class is currently in the middle of springs and waves.

Anyway, I have this:

V=fx

I'm pretty damn sure it means:

velocity = frequency*distance

However, the only velocity formula I can find that's similar is velocity = wavelength * frequency.

I really just want confirmation.
Thank you, and sorry for wasting your time.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
AATroop said:
Stupid question, tried googling it but was unsuccessful (you'd think it'd be easy to find...)
Also, my class is currently in the middle of springs and waves.

Anyway, I have this:

V=fx

I'm pretty damn sure it means:

velocity = frequency*distance

However, the only velocity formula I can find that's similar is velocity = wavelength * frequency.

I really just want confirmation.
Thank you, and sorry for wasting your time.

What context did you find this equation in? Or is the question to identify the equation?
 
Thundagere said:
What context did you find this equation in? Or is the question to identify the equation?

I found it in my notes. My handwriting is terrible btw, so sometimes even I have difficult discerning what I wrote.
But it was part of a section on springs. Most of the spring problems go like this:
find spring constant and/or find amplitude,
find max energy, find velocity at point A, find position at time T, find the period (T), etc.

I know another way to find velocity

√(k/m(A^2-x^2))

but just want to make sure this equation isn't available because my teacher usually makes us use all of the equations on a test.
Thanks again.

Edit: The thing that is most likely WRONG about the equation is the 'f'. It may actually mean another variable.