An interesting situation and UBC questions

In summary, the individual is a high school sophomore with a passion for skiing and an interest in physics. They are considering attending a college in Utah, Colorado, or British Columbia that has a good physics program and allows them to continue pursuing skiing. They are particularly interested in the University of British Columbia (UBC) due to its location and the presence of TRIUMF. They have questions about balancing skiing and academics, the possibility of taking classes only during certain terms, their chances of getting into UBC, and the nature of physics work. They are also considering Quest University, a newer school with a unique approach to education.
a_skier
Hello PF,

I am a Sophomore in high school in the US and have already led what I would consider to be a pretty awesome life, but I have an interesting dilemma.

All my life I have loved to ski, I ski competitively, and I believe that if I continue to pursue skiing I could possibly become a professional. Last year I left school and entered into a Online school so I could pursue skiing without having to worry about failing my classes.* (I travel a lot).

In addition to skiing I have always had an affinity for math, it has come fairly easy to me all of my life, and I also have a fascination for space exploration and physics. I have always been an adventurer, but even more so, I have wanted to change the world in a profound way, or "Put a dent in the Universe," as Steve Jobs would say. I have realized skiing is (obviously), not a great path to do that. I'm coming to realize there are a myriad of ways which I can do that, I am not only interested in Physics, but philosophy, consciousness, enlightenment and what it could mean for the human race, and the basic human perception of what we call reality.

Online school has interestingly given me a lot of perspective and allowed me to re-evaluate my passion for learning and specifically, exploring my curiosity for how the world works. In regular school I hate the regimented way they taught, and truly I just felt bored, because things came easier, so I didn't have to stay as engaged.

Until recently I have never felt a desire to learn or look deeper at things, I think the school system beat it out of me or something because a few years ago I wouldn't have given two damns about QM or anything like that. It would just mean me sitting in a class room getting lectured at.

So finally we come to the meat of the problem, I want to continue to pursue skiing at least until I have finished my Undergrad studies, mostly because I feel like it would be wrong not to push myself to my limit in that regard. But I also want to study Physics.

Anyways, I want to go to a college that:

A): Let's me pursue skiing.

B): Is in Utah, Colorado, or British Columbia.

C): Has a good physics program.

I am thinking that UBC would be a great option because the best skiing is there out of the three, it is a perfect place to be a pro skier, and of course they have TRIUMF.

So here are my questions:

Is it possible to have 3 days a week while enrolled in a Physics program where I could entirely devote the day to skiing?

What happens if you miss 1 week - 2 weeks of class at once during the winter for a trip?

Could I just take Classes in the Spring, Summer, and Fall?

I will have already completed one year of college credit (through the Running Start program), will that mess with the undergrad Physics program at UBC?

How many hours of work week for a moderately-to-bad Physics kid in that program?

In general, how possible is it to pursue other interests while in an UnderGrad Physics program?

If I have a GPA of about 3.7 (not quite there yet but when I work hard i get things done), and a 30 on my ACT with physics, chem, and of course pre calc on there too, what are my chances off getting into UBC?

Also, how good is TRIUMF really? I am not "in the know."

Last question: What is physics work actually like? Like give me a problem you might have in your intro to physics class. I have spent all my time learning the results of physics work, learning about wave functions and the behavior of light and stuff, the interesting findings. But how much is the actually Physics work like that? Is it just a billion symbols on a paper or is it more hands-on? With real corollaries to events and happenings?

Thanks so much for any help,

-A_skier

*none of this is to boast, it's just background info.

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't give you exact info on UBC, but can give some general idea of University in BC. For all of the things I am about to say, please check with the UBC website or contact the university directly for full information.

Yes, UBC has a highly-rated physics program. It is fairly competitive to get into, but I can't conjecture on your chances. Vancouver is a great city.

If you have done university-level courses, UBC will probably give you some kind of transfer credit.

You have some flexibility in your course load and may be able to schedule your classes to only be 3 days a week if you don't mind taking longer to get your degree. However, it will depend greatly on the things you are interested in and when they are actually offered. Most, if not all, courses will be offered during the daytime so pursuing skiing every day is out of the question.

There is generally a break over Christmas and some shorter breaks during the school year. Check their site, I am sure they are listed. If you are in lab-oriented classes, you don't want to skip out for a week. Even with a reduced class-load, you will need to allocate time for homework. Lots of it, if you really want to dent the world.

You will need to ask them directly if you can take classes Spring/Summer and skip the Fall term (or some other variation). I suspect it may be possible, but it is easy to trip up on some unexpected rule if you are not careful.

If you are interested in broad questions, there is a (smaller) University even closer to the mountains:

http://www.questu.ca/

Quest University is a fairly new teaching-oriented school that has an innovative program. Their approach may not be a match if you want to got the traditional physics route, but check them out anyway. Their block-plan allows for athletes to take time away from school.

Last edited:

1. What is the most interesting situation you have encountered in your research at UBC?

One of the most interesting situations I encountered in my research at UBC was when we discovered a new species of microorganism in a soil sample taken from a remote location in British Columbia. This was exciting as it opened up new avenues for further research and potentially had important implications for environmental studies.

2. How does UBC support its researchers in tackling complex and challenging questions?

UBC provides a variety of resources and support systems for its researchers, including access to state-of-the-art facilities, funding opportunities, and mentorship programs. Additionally, the university encourages collaboration and cross-disciplinary research, allowing for a diverse range of perspectives to tackle complex questions.

3. Can you give an example of a research question you have explored at UBC?

One research question I explored at UBC was the impact of climate change on the migratory patterns of birds in Western Canada. This involved studying the behavior and movements of different bird species over several years and analyzing the data to understand how climate change was affecting their migration routes and timing.

4. What makes UBC a unique place to conduct research?

UBC is a unique place to conduct research due to its location in beautiful British Columbia, which offers diverse and unique ecosystems for study. Additionally, the university has a strong focus on sustainability and innovation, providing a supportive and collaborative environment for researchers to explore new ideas and make meaningful contributions to their fields.

5. How do UBC researchers engage with the community and share their findings?

UBC researchers engage with the community through various outreach programs, public lectures, and events. They also publish their findings in academic journals and present at conferences to share their research with other experts in their field. Additionally, the university has initiatives in place to promote knowledge translation and encourage researchers to communicate their findings to the public in an accessible and meaningful way.