Confirming a Summation Identity

In summary, a summation identity is a mathematical expression that relates two sums and is commonly used in mathematics and statistics. To confirm a summation identity, one must prove that both sides of the equation are equal by manipulating terms or using mathematical rules. Some common summation identities include the telescoping identity, geometric series identity, and binomial theorem, and they have practical applications in various fields. Tips for confirming a summation identity include simplifying each side separately, tracking indices, and using properties such as the distributive and commutative properties.
eddybob123
Hi all, I found this "identity" online on Wikipedia, and realized that it would actually come in pretty useful for me, if only I could prove that it is true. Can you guys help me on that?:
$$\sum_{k=1}^nk^m=\frac{1}{m+1}\sum_{k=0}^{m}\binom{m+1}{k}B_k\;n^{m-k+1}$$
where ##B_k## denotes the kth Bernoulli number.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Looks like the proof is also on Wikipedia :)

So the formula in my first post is correct?

1. What is a summation identity?

A summation identity is a mathematical expression that represents the relationship between two sums. It states that one sum is equal to another sum with different terms or indices. Summation identities are commonly used in mathematics and statistics to simplify and solve complex equations.

2. How do you confirm a summation identity?

To confirm a summation identity, you must prove that both sides of the equation are equal. This can be done by manipulating the terms on one side to match the terms on the other side, or by using mathematical properties and rules to simplify the equation. Once you have shown that both sides are equal, the summation identity is confirmed.

3. What are some common summation identities?

Some common summation identities include the telescoping identity, the geometric series identity, and the binomial theorem. These identities are frequently used in calculus, algebra, and statistics to solve problems and simplify equations.

4. Can summation identities be used in real-world applications?

Yes, summation identities have many practical applications in fields such as economics, physics, and computer science. They can be used to calculate probabilities, model financial data, and analyze complex systems. Being able to confirm and apply summation identities is an important skill for scientists and researchers.

5. Are there any tips for confirming a summation identity?

One helpful tip for confirming a summation identity is to start by simplifying each side of the equation separately. This can help you identify any patterns or relationships between the terms. It is also important to carefully track the indices and make sure they match on both sides of the equation. Additionally, using properties such as the distributive property and the commutative property can be useful in manipulating the terms to match.