Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Summation of exponential terms

1. Mar 23, 2015 #1
    I found the following identity in a paper:
    ##
    \sum_{l=1}^{\infty}exp(-\pi\alpha l^2)=(\frac{1}{2\sqrt{\alpha}}-\frac{1}{2})+\frac{1}{\sqrt{\alpha}}\sum_{l=1}^{\infty}exp(\frac{-\pi l^2}{\alpha}) ##
    Someone please let me give some hints on how to prove this.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 23, 2015 #2

jfizzix

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It looks like it's the same sum on both sides, but scaled.

I would see what happens to the exponential sum when you change [itex]\alpha[/itex] to [itex]\alpha\beta[/itex]. Can you make the result identical with the right scaling factor in front (twice as wide, but half as tall)?

4. Mar 27, 2015 #3
    Yes, it's the same sum but scaled. One thing I have found that if you approximate the summation as integral, it can be proved easily as both are usual Gaussian Integral. But I was worrying about the factor that involves to transform the summation into integral. Any thoughts?

5. Mar 27, 2015 #4

jfizzix

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

So, you can write it alternatively as:
    [itex]\frac{1}{2} +\sum_{l=1}^{\infty}exp(-\pi\alpha l^2)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{\alpha}}\big(\frac{1}{2}+\sum_{l=1}^{\infty}exp(\frac{-\pi l^2}{\alpha})\big) [/itex]
    or better yet
    [itex]\sum_{l=-\infty}^{\infty}exp(-\pi\alpha l^2)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{\alpha}}\sum_{l=-\infty}^{\infty}exp(\frac{-\pi l^2}{\alpha}) [/itex]
    this sum is exactly the integral of a discrete gaussian. With the normalization constant in front, they should have the same area..

At least, that is how I think it should work out.

Does [itex]\alpha[/itex] have to be a positive integer?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook