Summation of exponential terms

In summary, the conversation discusses an identity found in a paper, involving a summation and an exponential function. It is suggested to use a change in the variable \alpha to prove the identity, and an alternative form is provided for the summation. The conversation also mentions the possibility of approximating the summation as an integral, and discusses the role of \alpha and its potential values.
A_s_a_d
I found the following identity in a paper:
##
\sum_{l=1}^{\infty}exp(-\pi\alpha l^2)=(\frac{1}{2\sqrt{\alpha}}-\frac{1}{2})+\frac{1}{\sqrt{\alpha}}\sum_{l=1}^{\infty}exp(\frac{-\pi l^2}{\alpha}) ##
Someone please let me give some hints on how to prove this.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
It looks like it's the same sum on both sides, but scaled.

I would see what happens to the exponential sum when you change [itex]\alpha[/itex] to [itex]\alpha\beta[/itex]. Can you make the result identical with the right scaling factor in front (twice as wide, but half as tall)?

Yes, it's the same sum but scaled. One thing I have found that if you approximate the summation as integral, it can be proved easily as both are usual Gaussian Integral. But I was worrying about the factor that involves to transform the summation into integral. Any thoughts?

So, you can write it alternatively as:
[itex]\frac{1}{2} +\sum_{l=1}^{\infty}exp(-\pi\alpha l^2)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{\alpha}}\big(\frac{1}{2}+\sum_{l=1}^{\infty}exp(\frac{-\pi l^2}{\alpha})\big) [/itex]
or better yet
[itex]\sum_{l=-\infty}^{\infty}exp(-\pi\alpha l^2)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{\alpha}}\sum_{l=-\infty}^{\infty}exp(\frac{-\pi l^2}{\alpha}) [/itex]
this sum is exactly the integral of a discrete gaussian. With the normalization constant in front, they should have the same area..

At least, that is how I think it should work out.

Does [itex]\alpha[/itex] have to be a positive integer?

1. What is the definition of summation of exponential terms?

The summation of exponential terms is a mathematical process of combining a series of numbers or variables raised to a constant base and increasing powers. It is represented by the sigma symbol (Σ) and is used to find the total sum of the terms in the series.

2. What is the formula for calculating the summation of exponential terms?

The formula for calculating the summation of exponential terms is: Σ aᵢ = a₁ + a₂ + a₃ + ... + aₙ, where aᵢ represents each term in the series and n is the number of terms in the series.

3. What is the difference between summation of exponential terms and summation of geometric series?

The summation of exponential terms involves a constant base and increasing powers, while the summation of geometric series involves a constant ratio and increasing powers. Additionally, the summation of exponential terms can have a finite or infinite number of terms, while the summation of geometric series must have a finite number of terms.

4. How is the summation of exponential terms used in real life?

The summation of exponential terms is used in various fields such as finance, physics, and biology. In finance, it is used to calculate compound interest and growth rates. In physics, it is used to model exponential decay and growth. In biology, it is used to model population growth and decay.

5. Can the summation of exponential terms be simplified?

Yes, the summation of exponential terms can be simplified using various techniques such as factoring, combining like terms, and using mathematical identities. However, the simplified form may not always be possible or useful depending on the context of the problem.