Conformal group, infinitesimal transformation

In summary, in order to determine the infinitesimal generators of the conformal group, we consider an infinitesimal coordinate transformation and obtain an equation involving the dimension of spacetime. To solve for the generators, we need to use the fact that ##d=\eta_{\mu\nu}\eta^{\mu\nu}## and manipulate the equation to get the desired result.
physicus

Homework Statement

In order to determine the infinitesimal generators of the conformal group we consider an infinitesimal coordinate transformation:
[itex]x^{\mu} \to x^\mu+\epsilon^\mu[/itex]
We obtain [itex]\partial_\mu\epsilon_\nu+\partial_\nu\epsilon_\mu=\frac{2}{d}(\partial\cdot\epsilon)\eta_{\mu\nu}[/itex] where d is the dimension of spacetime.
Derive [itex](\eta_{\mu\nu}\Box+(d-2)\partial_\mu \partial_\nu)\partial\cdot\epsilon=0[/itex]

Homework Equations

[itex]\eta_{\mu\nu}\eta^{\mu\nu}=d[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I am really close to the solution, but somehow I don't arrive there.
[itex]\partial_\mu\epsilon_\nu+\partial_\nu\epsilon_\mu=\frac{2}{d}(\partial\cdot\epsilon)\eta_{\mu\nu}[/itex]
[itex]\Rightarrow \partial^\nu\partial_\mu\epsilon_\nu+\partial^\nu{\partial}_\nu\epsilon_\mu=\frac{2}{d}\partial^\nu({\partial}\cdot\epsilon)\eta_{\mu\nu}[/itex]
[itex]\Rightarrow \partial_\mu(\partial\cdot\epsilon)+\Box{\epsilon}_\mu=\frac{2}{d}\partial_\mu(\partial\cdot\epsilon)[/itex]
[itex]\Rightarrow (d-2)\partial_\mu(\partial\cdot\epsilon)+d\cdot{\Box}{\epsilon}_\mu=0[/itex]
[itex]\Rightarrow (d-2)\partial_\mu\partial_\nu(\partial\cdot\epsilon)+d\partial_\nu\Box{\epsilon}_\mu=0[/itex]
I think I need to use [itex]d=\eta_{\mu\nu}\eta^{\mu\nu}[/itex] now, but I don't get the right result.
Can somebody help me?

physicus

Physics news on Phys.org
physicus said:
[itex]\partial_\mu\epsilon_\nu+\partial_\nu\epsilon_\mu=\frac{2}{d}(\partial\cdot\epsilon)\eta_{\mu\nu}~~~(*)[/itex]

[itex]\Rightarrow (d-2)\partial_\mu\partial_\nu(\partial\cdot\epsilon)+d\partial_\nu\Box{\epsilon}_\mu=0~~~(**)[/itex]

The first term in (**) is symmetric in ##\mu\nu##, so we can write (**) as

$$(d-2)\partial_\mu\partial_\nu(\partial\cdot\epsilon)+\frac{d}{2} \Box ( \partial_\nu{\epsilon}_\mu + \partial_\mu{\epsilon}_\nu)=0.$$

Alternatively, you can take the divergence of (*) with ##\partial^\mu## and add it to (**) to get this equation. It should be clear what to do next.

What is the conformal group?

The conformal group is a mathematical group that describes the symmetries of conformal transformations, which preserve angles between curves and therefore also preserve shapes and sizes. It is an important concept in physics and geometry.

What are infinitesimal transformations?

Infinitesimal transformations are small, continuous changes in a mathematical system. They are often used to describe the behavior of a system at a specific point or in the limit of very small changes.

How are conformal transformations related to the conformal group?

Conformal transformations are the transformations that are preserved by the conformal group. This means that any transformation that preserves angles between curves is considered a conformal transformation and is a member of the conformal group.

Why are conformal transformations important in physics?

Conformal transformations are important in physics because they preserve the geometric structure of a system, making them useful for studying problems in classical mechanics, quantum mechanics, and general relativity. They also have applications in fields such as fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and statistical mechanics.

What are some applications of the conformal group?

The conformal group has many applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. Some examples include the study of fluid dynamics and conformal field theory in physics, the design of conformal antennas in electrical engineering, and the use of conformal maps in cartography and image processing.