OK. So the commutation relation 11.58 is true only when those indices are 0,1,2,3 . I still think it is confusing that he uses the same greek letters mu and nu to represent Lorentz covariant coordinates and light-cone coordinates. When I go back to those equation I have no idea if they are true for lorentz coordinates, and/or lc coordinates, and/or the lc gauge.
Another thing that bothers me is that it seems like Zwiebach's only justification for 11.58 is that "it seems reasonable". We know it is true for the spatial part from QM, but how can you just write down an equation because it "seems reasonable"?
EDIT: wait. so apparently 11.58 is true for lc coordinates as he discusses in the paragraph underneath. in that case i just do not understand why it would not be true in the lc gauge because the lc gauge uses light cone coordinates and it is only a constraint on the lc coordinates so if 11.58 is true for lc coordinates shouldn't it be true for the constrained lc coordinates in the lc gauge?