Confused much, partial fractions

In summary, The person is having difficulty solving a math problem and asks for help. They explain that there are three constants in the problem, but that they got a bit of it done but it's all wrong. They state their next problem and explain that the numerator of the first equation doesn't have a variable with it. The person is thanked and advised to keep the advice in mind.
Wholewheat458
.. oy, I'm just not sure how to find 3 constants!
Here is my problem:
5x^2-4/(x-2)(x+2)(x-1) = A/(x-2)+B/(x+2)+C/(x-1)
.. i got a bit of it done, but it's all wrong
OH! and what am i supposed to do if the numerator of the first equation does not have any sort of variable with it??
my next problem:
3/r^2-4r-5 = A/r-5 + B/r+1
Well, any help would be much appreciated ^^ :shy:

Physics news on Phys.org
Wholewheat458 said:
.. oy, I'm just not sure how to find 3 constants!
Here is my problem:
5x^2-4/(x-2)(x+2)(x-1) = A/(x-2)+B/(x+2)+C/(x-1)
.. i got a bit of it done, but it's all wrong
OH! and what am i supposed to do if the numerator of the first equation does not have any sort of variable with it??
my next problem:
3/r^2-4r-5 = A/r-5 + B/r+1
Well, any help would be much appreciated ^^ :shy:
First, you can considerably simplify the problem by multiplying both sides of the equation by that common denominator:
5x^2- 4= A(x+2)(x-1)+ B(x-2)(x-1)+ C(x-2)(x+2)

Now you can do any of several things:

You could multiply out the left side and equate "corresponding" coefficients.

Or, since that is true for all x, you could just pick 3 values of x and get 3 equations to solve for A, B, and C.

In particular, you will find taking x= -2, x= 1, and x= 2 are especially nice!

For 3/r^2-4r-5 = A/r-5 + B/r+1, the same advice: multiply both sides by (r-5)(r+ 1) and you get 3= A(r+1)+ B(r-5). Now let r= -1 and r= 5.

? How did you pick those number? are they random, or no??
Oh, and can i just say: THANK YOU!

Wholewheat458 said:
? How did you pick those number? are they random, or no??
Oh, and can i just say: THANK YOU!

If you mean by choosing to test with x = -2, x = 1, and x=2, those numbers were clearly chosen so that all but one of the terms goes to zero. I must also add on that this is a remarkably good trick!Cheers,
Nick

^^. thank you, i'll keep it in mind

1. What are partial fractions?

Partial fractions are a mathematical technique used to decompose a rational function into simpler fractions. It is particularly useful in integration and solving differential equations.

2. Why are partial fractions used?

Partial fractions are used to simplify complex rational functions, making them easier to integrate or solve. It also allows for the use of simpler integration techniques, such as substitution or partial fractions.

3. How do you find partial fractions?

To find partial fractions, you must first factor the denominator of the rational function. Then, you set up a system of equations and solve for the unknown coefficients. The coefficients can then be used to rewrite the rational function as a sum of simpler fractions.

4. What is the purpose of finding partial fractions?

The purpose of finding partial fractions is to simplify complex rational functions and make them easier to work with. This can be useful in solving integration problems, solving differential equations, or simplifying algebraic expressions.

5. Are there any tips for solving problems involving partial fractions?

One tip for solving problems involving partial fractions is to always check your work by substituting your answer back into the original equation. Another tip is to carefully factor the denominator before setting up the system of equations to avoid any mistakes. Additionally, it is important to practice and familiarize yourself with the process of finding partial fractions to become more efficient at solving problems.