1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Confused on the power through a Capacitor formula help!

1. Apr 4, 2013 #1
    I know that the energy stored in a capcitor is U = 1/2 CV2. but the power through it? I have in my notes that the power is the derivative of U.

so for example the energy is 26 Joules so the derivative of 26 J? doesnt make sense cause 26 is a constant.

help please!

i attached a picture of the problem. i first find the C equivalent.

oops! theres actually a switch on the top of the circuit! which closes at t = 0

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 4, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 4, 2013 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Can you find an expression for the potential across the equivalent capacitance with respect to time? How about the stored energy? This expression should be differentiable w.r.t. time...

4. Apr 4, 2013 #3
    potential across is C = QV --> V(t) = C/Q(t). is that it?

5. Apr 4, 2013 #4

gneill

Staff: Mentor

No. C is capacitance, not potential. C = QV is not a correct formula. And Q(t) does not provide any information about how the charge Q changes over time.

What is the expression for the voltage across the capacitance with respect to time for the given circuit? Hint: it involves an exponential function with a time constant.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted