Confused on the power through a Capacitor formula help

In summary, the conversation discusses the formula for energy stored in a capacitor (U = 1/2 CV2) and the power through it, which is the derivative of U. The conversation then shifts to finding an expression for the potential and stored energy of an equivalent capacitance with respect to time in a circuit with a switch that closes at t = 0. The correct formula is V(t) = C/Q(t), which involves an exponential function with a time constant.
nchin
I know that the energy stored in a capacitor is U = 1/2 CV2. but the power through it? I have in my notes that the power is the derivative of U.

so for example the energy is 26 Joules so the derivative of 26 J? doesn't make sense cause 26 is a constant.

help please!

i attached a picture of the problem. i first find the C equivalent.

oops! there's actually a switch on the top of the circuit! which closes at t = 0

Attachments

• captors.PNG
    captors.PNG
    3.1 KB · Views: 486
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you find an expression for the potential across the equivalent capacitance with respect to time? How about the stored energy? This expression should be differentiable w.r.t. time...

gneill said:
Can you find an expression for the potential across the equivalent capacitance with respect to time? How about the stored energy? This expression should be differentiable w.r.t. time...

potential across is C = QV --> V(t) = C/Q(t). is that it?

nchin said:
potential across is C = QV --> V(t) = C/Q(t). is that it?

No. C is capacitance, not potential. C = QV is not a correct formula. And Q(t) does not provide any information about how the charge Q changes over time.

What is the expression for the voltage across the capacitance with respect to time for the given circuit? Hint: it involves an exponential function with a time constant.

Last edited:
Hi there,

I understand your confusion about the power through a capacitor. The formula for power through a capacitor is P = dU/dt, where U is the energy stored in the capacitor and t is time. This formula represents the rate at which energy is being transferred to or from the capacitor.

In the example you provided, you have the energy stored in the capacitor (U) and you are trying to find the power (P) at a specific time (t=0). In this case, the derivative of 26 J doesn't make sense because 26 is a constant value and not a function of time.

However, if you have a switch in the circuit that closes at t=0, then the energy stored in the capacitor will start changing over time. In this case, you would need to use the formula P = dU/dt at different time points to find the power at each time point.

I hope this helps clarify things for you. Remember, power through a capacitor is the rate at which energy is being transferred, so it will depend on the change in energy over time.

Best of luck with your studies!

1. What is the formula for calculating power through a capacitor?

The formula for calculating power through a capacitor is P = VI, where P is the power in watts, V is the voltage in volts, and I is the current in amps.

2. How is power through a capacitor different from power through a resistor?

Power through a capacitor is different from power through a resistor because capacitors store and release electrical energy, while resistors only resist the flow of current.

3. How is power through a capacitor related to the energy stored in the capacitor?

The power through a capacitor is directly related to the energy stored in the capacitor. The more energy stored in the capacitor, the higher the power output.

4. Can the power through a capacitor be negative?

No, the power through a capacitor cannot be negative. The power equation only calculates the power output, which is always a positive value.

5. How can I use the power through a capacitor formula in practical applications?

The power through a capacitor formula can be used in various practical applications, such as designing electronic circuits, calculating power consumption, and determining the efficiency of a capacitor in a circuit.