Confusion about defn. of Surjective mapping in WIKI.

In summary: Sharipov defines injection as follows:Injection is a mapping between two sets such that every element of the first set is associated with exactly one and only one element of the second set.Surjection is defined as follows:Surjection is a mapping between two sets such that every element of the second set is associated with exactly one and only one element of the first set.
ssd
Reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bijection,_injection_and_surjection

Consider the two sets X & Y connected by a the relation y^2=x^2. (For simplicity we can take X={-2,2} and Y={-2,2}).Then can we call the mapping from X to Y to be surjective?
From the definition of WIKI, the answer appears to be 'yes'.

Physics news on Phys.org
The relation that you mention does not give rise to a function. In your example, 2 is mapped to both 2 and -2. Thus 2 has multiple images. This is forbidden for a mapping.

micromass said:
The relation that you mention does not give rise to a function. In your example, 2 is mapped to both 2 and -2. Thus 2 has multiple images. This is forbidden for a mapping.

True that this is not a function. But my question is that WIKI's definition does not exclude it from surjective mapping.

Yes, it does exclude this as a surjective mapping. Wiki demands that a surjective mapping is a function. And since this is not a function, then this will also not be a surjective mapping...

Unfortunately, what I know is that "function" is defined through mapping. That is, definition of mapping comes before that of function, not the other way round.

You know what a relation is right? If we have a relation S ⊆ ℝ'xℝ where
S = {(a,b)|(a ∈ ℝ') ⋀ (b ∈ ℝ)} then a function ƒ is the exact same, it's just a relation,
apart from one specific restriction we place on ƒ that distinguishes it from S.
A function has the property that if ƒ = {(a,b)|(a ∈ ℝ') ⋀ (b ∈ ℝ)} then a is the
first member of the tuple (a,b) in just one pair.

So, if A = {a,b,c} & B = {d,e,f} then S ⊆ A x B could be:

S = {(a,d),(a,e),(a,f),(b,d),(b,e),(b,f),(c,d),(c,e),(c,f)}

or

S = {(a,d),(a,e),(a,f),(b,f),(c,d),(c,e),(c,f)}

but ƒ ⊆ A x B is

ƒ = {(a,d),(b,d),(c,e)}

or

S = {(a,d),(b,f),(c,d)}

etc... I'm sure you see the distinction. I only wrote that stuff above because by thinking
along those lines I really don't see how you could get the impression that the wiki definition
allows for multiple elements of the co-domain to be mapped to multiple elements of the
domain (you know what I mean!):

A function is surjective (onto) if every element of the codomain is mapped to by at least one element of the domain.

My only guess is that when you read this sentence you missed the importance of the
inclusion of the word "by", but you think of it as saying that if 5 is an element of the
co-domain then if f(2) = 5 that's good but f(4) = 5 is also good for the definition of a
surjection, not so good for an injection.

Also:

A function can also be called a map or a mapping. Some authors, however, use the terms "function" and "map" to refer to different types of functions.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Function_(mathematics)

As I understand things at this present time the definition of a function is just that
of putting a restriction on a relation & does not arise out of the definition of a mapping,
they are mostly the same thing as far as I know, unless an author defines it differently.
I think that if you work with logic you assign an arity to your functions and relations &
this justifies mappings/functions of the form ƒ:ℝⁿ → ℝⁿ. I'll freely admit I thought a
mapping was of the form ƒ:ℝⁿ → ℝⁿ while a function was like f(x) = y (or ƒ:ℝ → ℝ)
but now I'm pretty sure that's just a ridiculous (or an unnecessary) distinction that comes
from being new to higher math & assuming some distinction.

Personally I prefer the definitions of injection/surjection/bijection given in
Sharipov's Linear Algebra & Multidimensional Geometry, check them out. My guess is that his
definition is more set oriented. I'd like to know why Sharipov defines it his way while 95%
of the rest of the texts do it the wiki way if anyone could shed some light on that.

Last edited:

Question 1: What is a surjective mapping?

A surjective mapping, also known as a surjection, is a type of function in mathematics where every element in the codomain (output) is mapped to by at least one element in the domain (input). In simpler terms, it means that every output value has at least one corresponding input value.

Question 2: How is a surjective mapping different from an injective mapping?

A surjective mapping is different from an injective mapping in that an injective mapping ensures that each output value has only one corresponding input value, while a surjective mapping only guarantees that each output value has at least one corresponding input value.

Question 3: Can a surjective mapping have multiple output values for a single input value?

No, a surjective mapping cannot have multiple output values for a single input value. This would violate the definition of a function, which states that each input value can only have one corresponding output value.

Question 4: How can I identify if a mapping is surjective?

To identify if a mapping is surjective, you can check if every element in the codomain has at least one preimage (an element in the domain that maps to it). If this is true, then the mapping is surjective.

Question 5: What are some real-world examples of surjective mappings?

Some real-world examples of surjective mappings include a vending machine (where each product selection has at least one corresponding input button) and a phone directory (where each person's name has at least one corresponding phone number).