Confusion about how KCL and KVL are used for diode circuits

Homework Statement

Eo5OrNh.png

This is just one of the example problems in my book which is already solved for me, but I don't really understand their solution which I'll post here:
They start out with assuming Vin is very negative, which makes D1 turn on and makes Vout=VD,on+Vin. THen they solve for the currents.
JYPhFsY.png

Homework Equations

KCL/KVL

The Attempt at a Solution

What I am confused on is that if the diode is turned on, then the branch with the diode is a short circuit, so why is there current going in the R2 branch?
The book solves all the problems like this one the same way, but I don't really get it. Are we assuming the diode is actually on the brink of turning on/off, so it allows current through it, but it's actually not a short circuit yet?

Answers and Replies

gneill
Mentor
What I am confused on is that if the diode is turned on, then the branch with the diode is a short circuit, so why is there current going in the R2 branch?
What does VD.on represent? Is the diode treated as ideal or non-ideal in these problems? :wink:

Likes timnswede
cnh1995
Homework Helper
Gold Member
if the diode is turned on, then the branch with the diode is a short circuit,
No. You are asked to use the constant voltage model for the diode.
images (4).jpg

Likes timnswede
Oh wow, not sure why I didn't realize it until you guys said it, but now it makes sense, thanks!