Confusion about Newton's laws, sum of forces equals zero

In summary, when solving Newton's laws problems, it is important to understand when forces are equal to zero and when they are not. This is because the sum of forces is not automatically zero, but rather the result of only the forces applied to the object (not the forces the object applies back). Therefore, to determine when the sum of forces is equal to zero, one must consider the forces being applied to the object, such as friction, gravity, and normal force.
LogarithmLuke
I've lately began working with Newtons laws problems at school again, and I've already ran into a few problems.

When making calculations and solving problems, it is often nessecary to understand when forces are equal to zero, and when they are not. Since every force has an equal and opposite counter force, according to Newtons third law, it seems as though the sum of forces are always equal to zero, in both y and x directions.

The reason objects are still able to move though, the way i understand it, is because if let's say i push a book across the table, my mass is far greater than the books and therefore my acceleration will be negligible. So it makes sense to me that objects can move, but always using that the sum of forces equal zero when solving problems causes a lot of issues.

How do i know when the sum of forces in a direction equal zero, and when they do not?

Physics news on Phys.org
LogarithmLuke said:
How do i know when the sum of forces in a direction equal zero, and when they do not?
You are mixing together two separate issues. The forces you are summing are not the equal and opposite forces at every point, they are only one of each pair: only the forces applied to the object (not the forces the object applies back).

russ_watters said:
You are mixing together two separate issues. The forces you are summing are not the equal and opposite forces at every point, they are only one of each pair: only the forces applied to the object (not the forces the object applies back).

So let's say I am pushing a car, using a force. The car pushes back at me with a force that has the same magnitude, but the force is directed at me. Therefore the sum of forces on the car are the force i use to push, friction and gravity as well as the normal force. The net force on the car will be zero if it has no acceleration or travels at a constant pace, but it is not automatically zero. Is my thinking right?

LogarithmLuke said:
So let's say I am pushing a car, using a force. The car pushes back at me with a force that has the same magnitude, but the force is directed at me. Therefore the sum of forces on the car are the force i use to push, friction and gravity as well as the normal force. The net force on the car will be zero if it has no acceleration or travels at a constant pace, but it is not automatically zero. Is my thinking right?
Yep!

1. What are Newton's laws of motion?

Newton's laws of motion are three fundamental laws that describe the behavior of objects in motion. The first law, also known as the law of inertia, states that an object will remain at rest or in uniform motion in a straight line unless acted upon by an external force. The second law states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. The third law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

2. What does it mean for the sum of forces to equal zero?

According to Newton's second law, the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it. If the sum of forces acting on an object is zero, the object will either remain at rest or continue moving at a constant velocity. This is known as equilibrium.

3. How is the sum of forces related to Newton's laws?

The sum of forces acting on an object is directly related to Newton's second law, which states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it. In other words, the sum of forces acting on an object determines its acceleration or state of motion.

4. What is the confusion about Newton's laws and the sum of forces?

There is often confusion about Newton's laws and the sum of forces because they are closely related concepts. Some people mistakenly believe that the sum of forces must always be zero for an object to be in motion, when in reality it only needs to be zero for the object to be in equilibrium. Additionally, some people may misunderstand the relationship between the sum of forces and Newton's second law.

5. How can the confusion about Newton's laws and the sum of forces be cleared up?

The best way to clear up confusion about Newton's laws and the sum of forces is through education and understanding of the concepts. It is important to understand that the sum of forces only needs to be zero for an object to be in equilibrium, not necessarily for it to be in motion. It is also important to understand the relationship between the sum of forces and Newton's second law, and how they work together to describe the behavior of objects in motion.