Confusion about position state kets

In summary, kets in Dirac notation are linear and represented as |a*Φ>=a*|Φ>. However, this is not true for the position state ket, where |-x> ≠ -|x>. The x in |x> refers to an index and not the actual position. The orthogonality and normalization of kets can also be seen through the notation of <\alpha|\beta>=\delta(\alpha-\beta).
Oliver321
TL;DR Summary
Why is it that |-x> ≠ -|x>, even though kets are vectors and thus obey linearity?
I am a bit confused about how kets in dirac notation are working.
I read on wikipedia, that kets are linear, so |a*Φ>=a*|Φ>.
Also I read (https://ocw.mit.edu/courses/physics...all-2013/lecture-notes/MIT8_05F13_Chap_04.pdf) that this is not true for the position state ket ( or non denumerable bases in general): |-x> ≠ -|x>

My question is now: Why is this the case? If I am understanding it right, the position state ket is representing the position of a particle in that way, that a particle with ket |2> is at the point 2 on the x axis. Or expressed otherwise: |2> =(0,0,...,1,0,0,...), where the second representation is a vector in an infinite space where every component (or base vector) is representing a real number (in this example the number 2). So it would be valid to say
|-2> =(0,0,...,-1,0,0,...) = -(0,0,...,1,0,0,...)= -|2>

Probabliy I have a wrong understanding of what kets really are. I would appreciate every help!

Physics news on Phys.org
If you refer as ##\left|\right.\psi\rangle## to the ket vector related to a wave function ##\psi##, then you can write ##c\left|\right.\psi\rangle = \left|\right.c\psi\rangle##. But the ##x## in ##\left|\right.x\rangle## does not refer to a wave function, it's a label that indexes the different position eigenstates. The ##\left|\right.x\rangle## and ##\left|\right.-x\rangle## are actually orthogonal vectors if ##x\neq 0##, so it's impossible to write one of them as a multiple of another.

Likes etotheipi and Oliver321
Thank you very much! I think I understand it. So the x is a Index and not the position itself. I could also use an index n if it’s continuous?

Let us see orthogonality and normalization
[tex]<\alpha|\beta>=\delta(\alpha-\beta)[/tex].

[tex]<\alpha|-\alpha>=\delta(2\alpha)=0\ for\ \alpha \neq 0[/tex]
Orthogonal.
[tex]<\alpha|(-|\alpha>)=- <\alpha|\alpha>=-\delta(0)[/tex]
Same but different sign.

Oliver321 said:
Thank you very much! I think I understand it. So the x is a Index and not the position itself. I could also use an index n if it’s continuous?

It is the position eigenvalue, but you can't absorb a constant multiplier into it, like you can when labeling the states with the corresponding wave functions.

Likes etotheipi
Oliver321 said:
Yes. One probem with the Dirac notation in this case is that it is so slick that symbols can be overloaded. What is ##|x \rangle## really? It's the eigenstate of the position operator ##\hat x## with eigenvalue ##x##. So, let's write it as something that ends the confusion: ##|\alpha(x) \rangle##. Where:
$$\hat x |\alpha(x) \rangle = x |\alpha(x) \rangle$$
And, similarly ##|-x \rangle## is the eigenstate of ##\hat x## with eigenvalue ##-x##:
$$\hat x |\alpha(-x) \rangle = -x |\alpha(-x) \rangle$$
This should help you see that we cannot have ##|\alpha(-x) \rangle = - |\alpha(x) \rangle##. For one thing, ##- |\alpha(x) \rangle## is just the same state as ##|\alpha(x) \rangle##, with a phase factor of ##-1##. I.e. that is also an eigentstate of ##\hat x## with eigenvalue ##x##.

Likes Oliver321 and (deleted member)
And if you could write ##\displaystyle i\left|\right.x\rangle = \left|\right.ix\rangle##, then you'd have produced a state with an imaginary position eigenvalue, which is not possible.

I think it's a drawback of this "extreme form" of the Dirac bra-ket formalism, often leading to confusion. It's common to write ##|\vec{x} \rangle## as the generalized position-operator eigenvector of eigenvalue ##\vec{x}## (more precisely: the common eigenvalues of the three commuting self-adjoint operators representing the Cartesian components of the position vector).

This can be easily avoided by writing something like ##|u_{\vec{x}} \rangle## for it. Then it's clear that ##|u_{(-\vec{x})} \rangle## is the eigenvector for the position eigenvalues ##-\vec{x}## rather than the vector ##-|u_{\vec{x}} \rangle##.

Likes weirdoguy

1. What is a position state ket?

A position state ket is a mathematical representation of a quantum state that describes the position of a particle in space. It is a vector in a Hilbert space, and it contains information about the probability of finding the particle at a specific position.

2. How is a position state ket different from a position eigenstate?

A position state ket is a general representation of a quantum state, while a position eigenstate is a specific state with a well-defined position. A position eigenstate is a special case of a position state ket, where the probability of finding the particle at a specific position is 100%.

3. Can a particle be in more than one position state ket at the same time?

Yes, according to the principles of quantum mechanics, a particle can exist in a superposition of multiple position state kets at the same time. This means that the particle has a probability of being in different positions simultaneously until a measurement is made.

4. How is the position of a particle measured using position state kets?

The position of a particle can be measured by applying a projection operator to the position state ket. This will collapse the state to a position eigenstate, and the result of the measurement will be the position of the particle.

5. What is the significance of position state kets in quantum mechanics?

Position state kets are an essential tool in quantum mechanics as they allow us to describe the position of a particle in a quantum system. They are also used in calculations and experiments to understand the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level.