Confusion about position state kets

• I
  • Thread starter Oliver321
  • Start date

Summary:

Why is it that |-x> ≠ -|x>, even though kets are vectors and thus obey linearity?

Main Question or Discussion Point

I am a bit confused about how kets in dirac notation are working.
I read on wikipedia, that kets are linear, so |a*Φ>=a*|Φ>.
Also I read (https://ocw.mit.edu/courses/physics...all-2013/lecture-notes/MIT8_05F13_Chap_04.pdf) that this is not true for the position state ket ( or non denumerable bases in general): |-x> ≠ -|x>

My question is now: Why is this the case? If I am understanding it right, the position state ket is representing the position of a particle in that way, that a particle with ket |2> is at the point 2 on the x axis. Or expressed otherwise: |2> =(0,0,...,1,0,0,...), where the second representation is a vector in an infinite space where every component (or base vector) is representing a real number (in this example the number 2). So it would be valid to say
|-2> =(0,0,...,-1,0,0,...) = -(0,0,...,1,0,0,...)= -|2>

Probabliy I have a wrong understanding of what kets really are. I would appreciate every help!

Answers and Replies

hilbert2
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
If you refer as ##\left|\right.\psi\rangle## to the ket vector related to a wave function ##\psi##, then you can write ##c\left|\right.\psi\rangle = \left|\right.c\psi\rangle##. But the ##x## in ##\left|\right.x\rangle## does not refer to a wave function, it's a label that indexes the different position eigenstates. The ##\left|\right.x\rangle## and ##\left|\right.-x\rangle## are actually orthogonal vectors if ##x\neq 0##, so it's impossible to write one of them as a multiple of another.

Likes etotheipi and Oliver321
Thank you very much! I think I understand it. So the x is a Index and not the position itself. I could also use an index n if it’s continuous?

anuttarasammyak
Gold Member
Let us see orthogonality and normalization
[tex]<\alpha|\beta>=\delta(\alpha-\beta)[/tex].

[tex]<\alpha|-\alpha>=\delta(2\alpha)=0\ for\ \alpha \neq 0[/tex]
Orthogonal.
[tex]<\alpha|(-|\alpha>)=- <\alpha|\alpha>=-\delta(0)[/tex]
Same but different sign.

hilbert2
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
Thank you very much! I think I understand it. So the x is a Index and not the position itself. I could also use an index n if it’s continuous?
It is the position eigenvalue, but you can't absorb a constant multiplier into it, like you can when labeling the states with the corresponding wave functions.

Likes etotheipi
PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Yes. One probem with the Dirac notation in this case is that it is so slick that symbols can be overloaded. What is ##|x \rangle## really? It's the eigenstate of the position operator ##\hat x## with eigenvalue ##x##. So, let's write it as something that ends the confusion: ##|\alpha(x) \rangle##. Where:
$$\hat x |\alpha(x) \rangle = x |\alpha(x) \rangle$$
And, similarly ##|-x \rangle## is the eigenstate of ##\hat x## with eigenvalue ##-x##:
$$\hat x |\alpha(-x) \rangle = -x |\alpha(-x) \rangle$$
This should help you see that we cannot have ##|\alpha(-x) \rangle = - |\alpha(x) \rangle##. For one thing, ##- |\alpha(x) \rangle## is just the same state as ##|\alpha(x) \rangle##, with a phase factor of ##-1##. I.e. that is also an eigentstate of ##\hat x## with eigenvalue ##x##.

Likes etotheipi
hilbert2
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
And if you could write ##\displaystyle i\left|\right.x\rangle = \left|\right.ix\rangle##, then you'd have produced a state with an imaginary position eigenvalue, which is not possible.

vanhees71
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
2019 Award
I think it's a drawback of this "extreme form" of the Dirac bra-ket formalism, often leading to confusion. It's common to write ##|\vec{x} \rangle## as the generalized position-operator eigenvector of eigenvalue ##\vec{x}## (more precisely: the common eigenvalues of the three commuting self-adjoint operators representing the Cartesian components of the position vector).

This can be easily avoided by writing something like ##|u_{\vec{x}} \rangle## for it. Then it's clear that ##|u_{(-\vec{x})} \rangle## is the eigenvector for the position eigenvalues ##-\vec{x}## rather than the vector ##-|u_{\vec{x}} \rangle##.

Likes weirdoguy