Confusion about preparing ensemble of particles and no-cloning theorem

In summary, an ensemble is a collection of particles with statistical properties, which can be described via a density matrix. Making a measurement on an ensemble is equivalent to repeated measurements on a single system, the ergodic hypothesis.
kof9595995
To get a distribution of some dynamic variable of a wavefunction, we actually need to prepare an ensemble of particles, in which all the particles have the same wavefunction, right?
And no-cloning theorem states that it's impossible to copy an unknown quantum state.
So is this a contradiction?
I've figured that in order to prepare an ensemble we have to know the wavefunction, so it doesn't really fit the situation under which the no-cloning theorem applies. But I can't really give myself a clear and detailed reasoning to convince myself. Could you guys help me explain it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe I was not specific enough, let's start with: what's the essential difference between preparing an ensemble and copying an unknown quantum state?

Emm...still no one, that's strange, is there something wrong about my question, or the way I asked?

I am not sure I understand the question. An ensemble is something with statistical properties, usually described via a density matrix. There is no reason to assume that all the individual systems in the ensemble have the same wavefunction (in fact, one usually assumes that this is NOT the case).
Making a measurement on an ensemble is usually equivalent to repeated measurements on a single system, i.e. the ergodic hypothesis.

f95toli said:
I am not sure I understand the question. An ensemble is something with statistical properties, usually described via a density matrix. There is no reason to assume that all the individual systems in the ensemble have the same wavefunction (in fact, one usually assumes that this is NOT the case).
Making a measurement on an ensemble is usually equivalent to repeated measurements on a single system, i.e. the ergodic hypothesis.
Well, seems I was under the false impression that all particles in an ensemble should have a same wavefunction, thanks for clarifying. But then I can't understand ensemble interpretation, I always thought to verify the Born's statistical interpretation, we need to prepare exactly the same wavefunctions.

1. What is an ensemble of particles?

An ensemble of particles refers to a group of identical particles that are considered together as a single system. These particles can have different quantum states, but are treated as a collective system for the purpose of analysis and prediction.

2. What is the no-cloning theorem?

The no-cloning theorem is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics that states that it is impossible to create an exact copy of an unknown quantum state. This means that it is not possible to make a perfect replica of a quantum system without destroying the original system.

3. Why is there confusion about preparing an ensemble of particles under the no-cloning theorem?

There is confusion because the no-cloning theorem prohibits the creation of a perfect copy of a quantum state, but it does not prohibit the creation of multiple, identical copies of a quantum state. This means that an ensemble of particles can still be prepared, as long as the individual particles are not exactly identical.

4. How is the no-cloning theorem relevant to quantum computing?

The no-cloning theorem has important implications for quantum computing, as it limits the ability to copy and manipulate quantum states. This means that certain operations, such as cloning or copying, are not possible in quantum computing, which can affect the design and implementation of quantum algorithms.

5. Are there any exceptions to the no-cloning theorem?

There are a few exceptions to the no-cloning theorem, such as the cloning of orthogonal quantum states or the cloning of certain quantum states with specific properties. However, these exceptions are limited and do not contradict the overall principle of the no-cloning theorem.