1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Confusion about the Work-Energy Theorem

1. Apr 22, 2007 #1
    Is this expression always true?: [tex]W=\Delta E[/tex] Please explain why this is using mathematical computations. I understand it conceptually but I just can't connect the two mathematically.

Also, why does my book only have the expression: [tex] W= \Delta KE[/tex] rather than: [tex] W= \Delta KE + \Delta PE[/tex] why did they leave the Potential energy out of the expression?
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 22, 2007 #2

Homework Helper

The equation [tex]W = \Delta E[/tex]
    is simply saying that work done on or by a system causes a change in energy of that system.

As for your textbook, it's hard to say why it left out the potential energy factor, but most likely it is because it has not yet discussed potential energy in that specific section or the potential energy is always assumed to be constant for that particular section.
  4. Apr 22, 2007 #3
    Work is Delta KE

You can look at work as potential.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?