Work-Energy Theorem and Friction

In summary, the problem involves two blocks, one moving vertically and one moving horizontally, with given masses, initial velocity, and displacement. The target variable is the coefficient of kinetic friction. Using the work-energy theorem and the balance of forces, the given values can be used to calculate the coefficient of kinetic friction, which is found to be 0.786. However, the book gives a slightly different value of 0.786, leading to further investigation and adjustments in the calculation to arrive at the correct value.
Argonaut
Homework Statement
[Young & Freedman - University Physics 13th ed, exercise 6.87]
Consider the system shown in Fig. P6.86. The rope and pulley have negligible mass, and the pulley is frictionless. Initially the 6.00-kg block is moving downward and the 8.00-kg block is moving to the right, both with a speed of 0.900 m/s. The blocks come to rest after moving 2.00 m. Use the work–energy theorem to calculate the coefficient of kinetic friction between the 8.00-kg block and the tabletop.
Relevant Equations
Work-energy theorem
Kinetic friction formula
IMG_20230421_092317__01.jpg

My final answer is different from the official one in the back of the book, and I can't figure out what I did wrong. This is my attempt:

Let block 1 be the vertically moving block and let block 2 be the horizontally moving one.

Also, let ##m_1 = 6.00 ~\rm{kg}##, ##m_2 = 8.00 ~\rm{kg}##, ##v_0 = 0.900 ~\rm{m/s}##, and ##d = 2.00 ~\rm{m}##. The target variable is ##\mu_k##.

According to the work-energy theorem, the total work done on block 2 is ##W_{tot}= \Delta K = K_f - K_i = 0 -K_i = -\frac{1}{2}m_2v_0^2##.

IMG_20230421_090911__01.jpg

Alternatively, since the forces acting on block 2 are constant, we also have ##W_{tot} = \Sigma F_x d = (T - f_k)d = (m_1g - \mu_km_2g)d## (if the direction of displacement is the positive direction).

So then we have

$$-\frac{1}{2}m_2v_0^2 = (m_1g - \mu_km_2g)d$$

Rearranging to express ##\mu_k##, we obtain

$$\mu_k = \frac{m_1}{m_2} + \frac{v_0^2}{2dg} = \frac{6.00 ~\rm{kg}}{8.00 ~\rm{kg}} + \frac{(0.900 ~\rm{m/s})^2}{2(2.00 ~\rm{m})(9.80 ~\rm{m/s^2})} = 0.771 $$

However, the book gives ##0.786##. Where did I mess up?

Physics news on Phys.org
Argonaut said:
Alternatively, since the forces acting on block 2 are constant, we also have ##W_{tot} = \Sigma F_x d = (T - f_k)d = (m_1g - \mu_km_2g)d## (if the direction of displacement is the positive direction).

However, the book gives ##0.786##. Where did I mess up?
Consider the balance of forces on m1 and its resulting acceleration to find T.

But the easier way is to consider the whole of system energy.

• Informative
Likes nasu and Argonaut
haruspex said:
Consider the balance of forces on m1 and its resulting acceleration to find T.

But the easier way is to consider the whole of system energy.
Right, so since there is acceleration, Newton's First Law does not apply, and ##T \neq m_1g ##, in fact ## T > m_1g ##, is that correct?

In which case, I'm probably better off considering the whole system instead of block 2.

Argonaut said:
, in fact T>m1g, is that correct?
Does m1 rise?

haruspex said:
Does m1 rise?
It does not, but its descent is 'slowing', so there is negative acceleration (supposing the positive direction is the direction of displacement). I thought that would mean that the force acting in the negative direction is greater than the one acting in the positive direction.

Argonaut said:
It does not, but its descent is 'slowing', so there is negative acceleration (supposing the positive direction is the direction of displacement). I thought that would mean that the force acting in the negative direction is greater than the one acting in the positive direction.
Sorry… skipping between threads, I forgot that it is initially descending.

Likes Argonaut
haruspex said:
Sorry… skipping between threads, I forgot that it is initially descending.
No worries, and thanks for the help. Looking forward to my lunch break to have another go at this exercise :biggrin:

The problem says
Argonaut said:
Initially the 6.00-kg block is moving downward and the 8.00-kg block is moving to the right, both with a speed of 0.900 m/s.
You say $$-\frac{1}{2}m_2v_0^2 = (m_1g - \mu_km_2g)d.$$
What should ##\Delta K## be?

Likes Argonaut and erobz
kuruman said:
The problem says

You say $$-\frac{1}{2}m_2v_0^2 = (m_1g - \mu_km_2g)d.$$
What should ##\Delta K## be?
Thanks for the tip. I think I've got it now - at least I've managed to reproduce the correct value.

So on the one hand ##W_{tot} = \Delta K = K_f - K_i = 0 - \frac{1}{2}(m_1+m_2)v_0^2##.

On the other hand, treating the blocks, the rope and the pulley as a system, there are two forces doing work on the system. So we have ## W_{tot} = \Sigma F d = (w_1 - f_k)d = (m_1g - \mu_km_2g)d ##.

So then equating the two we obtain

$$(m_1g - \mu_km_2g)d = - \frac{1}{2}(m_1+m_2)v_0^2$$

$$\mu_k = \frac{m_1}{m_2} + \frac{(m_1+m_2)v_0^2}{2dm_2g} = \frac{6.00 ~\rm{kg}}{8.00 ~\rm{kg}} + \frac{(6.00 ~\rm{kg} + 8.00 ~\rm{kg})(0.900 ~\rm{m/s})^2}{2(2.00 ~\rm{m})(8.00 ~\rm{kg})(9.80 ~\rm{m/s^2})} = 0.786$$

That is correct.

Likes Argonaut

What is the Work-Energy Theorem?

The Work-Energy Theorem states that the work done on an object is equal to the change in its kinetic energy. This means that the net work done on an object will result in a change in its velocity or speed.

What is the formula for calculating work?

The formula for calculating work is W = F * d * cos(theta), where F is the force applied, d is the displacement of the object, and theta is the angle between the force and displacement vectors.

How does friction affect the Work-Energy Theorem?

Friction is a force that opposes motion, and therefore it can reduce the amount of work done on an object. This means that the work done on an object will be less than the change in its kinetic energy, as some of the energy is lost to overcoming friction.

What is the relationship between work and energy?

Work and energy are closely related, as work is the transfer of energy from one object to another. The Work-Energy Theorem shows that the work done on an object results in a change in its energy, specifically its kinetic energy.

Can the Work-Energy Theorem be applied to non-conservative forces?

Yes, the Work-Energy Theorem can be applied to non-conservative forces, such as friction. However, in these cases, the work done by non-conservative forces will result in a change in both the kinetic energy and potential energy of the object.