1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Confusion regarding significant figures in answers

1. Jan 26, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I'm working through some exercises in which I'm supposed to convert various units of speed from SI units to other units
    Example: 0.4m/s into km/h

2. Relevant equations
    upload_2017-1-27_0-53-30.png

3. The attempt at a solution
    Having checked, I know my answer to be (to 3 significant figures) correct. My confusion arises regarding significant figures. Wouldn't 0.4 be 1 significant figure, which, if I remember and understand correctly, influences how the answer must be expressed, which in turn would leave me with a answer value of 1.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2017 #2

QuantumQuest

Gold Member

Doesn't the exercise state explicitly how many significant figures are needed for the result?

4. Jan 26, 2017 #3
    It's okay. I worked out where I was going wrong.

5. Jan 27, 2017 #4
    did you get the answer? when you are multiplying 2(or more) terms, the answer should contain as much as significant figures which is equivalent to that of the least number of significant figures containing term in the question.

6. Jan 27, 2017 #5
    oops sorry, just now i have seen that it's marked solved.ignore my useless rambling then :p

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted