How Do You Convert and Round Measurements to SI Units with Significant Figures?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
jybe
Messages
41
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement



If I am asked to give my answer in acceptable SI units and to 3 significant figures, how would I express my answer?

Homework Equations



Answer: 589883.4263 J

The Attempt at a Solution



My instinct would be to put this in KJ, but I don't know if that's an "acceptable SI unit". I can't find anything about it online. Does it have to stay in J?

If KJ I would write it as 590 KJ, right?

and if I had something like 1674.324432 J, would I express it as 1670 J or 1.67 KJ? I'm really confused.

Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Both J and kJ are perfectly acceptable SI units. The base unit is the Joule, of course, in case that's what they are looking for.
 
Orodruin said:
Note that its kJ, not KJ. Case is important in many prefixes.

Oh wow...I actually think that was the problem. I used J this time and got it right but thanks for that heads up