Significant figures in a results table

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the time period from a results table for 20 oscillations, with examples given as 9.90, 11.16, and 12.68. The question is about determining the correct number of significant figures to use in the calculation, considering that the number of oscillations is only given to 2 significant figures. The answer is to use 3 significant figures for all calculations.
Alexander350

Homework Statement

Basically there is a results table for the time taken for 20 oscillations. Three examples are 9.90, 11.16 and 12.68. I need to work out the time period to the correct number of significant figures.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I divide by 20 to get the time period but should it be to two, three or four significant figures? Because the number of oscillations is only to 2 s.f. I'm thinking it should be two but since that is part of the method and not a measurement per se, should I use the same number of significant figures as the time?

Apparently the answer is 3 significant figures for all of them.

Physics news on Phys.org

Alexander350 said:
Because the number of oscillations is only to 2 s.f
So you are thinking the actual number of oscillations may have been anything from 19.5 to 20.5?

1. What are significant figures and why are they important in a results table?

Significant figures, also known as significant digits, are the digits in a number that contribute to its precision or accuracy. In a results table, they represent the level of uncertainty in a measurement. They are important because they provide a way to communicate the reliability of the data and allow for consistency in calculations and comparisons.

2. How do I determine the number of significant figures in a measurement?

The general rule for determining significant figures is to count all non-zero digits and any zeros between non-zero digits. For example, in the number 0.00560, there are three significant figures (5, 6, and 0). However, if the number is written in scientific notation, all digits are considered significant.

3. Can I round off significant figures in a results table?

Yes, you can round off significant figures in a results table to simplify the data and make it easier to read. However, it is important to follow the rules of significant figures when rounding. Generally, the final answer should have the same number of significant figures as the least precise measurement.

4. How do significant figures affect calculations and mathematical operations?

When performing calculations and mathematical operations, the number of significant figures in the final answer should match the measurement with the least number of significant figures. This ensures that the answer is not more precise than the original data.

5. Are there any exceptions to the rules of significant figures?

There are a few exceptions to the rules of significant figures, such as when dealing with exact numbers, such as counting objects, or when using conversion factors. It is important to understand the context of the data and use common sense when determining the number of significant figures in these cases.