Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Confusion with very basic algebra

1. Sep 28, 2006 #1

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I'm trying to find the points t in (0,2[itex]\pi[/itex]) such that sint=sin4t. So I use the fact that sinA=sinB <==> A=B+2n[itex]\pi[/itex] ([itex]n\in\mathbb{Z}[/itex]), which yields t=2n[itex]\pi[/itex]/3 ([itex]n\in\mathbb{Z}[/itex]). The only solutions of this in (0,2[itex]\pi[/itex]) are 2[itex]\pi[/itex]/3 and 4[itex]\pi[/itex]/3.

However, there are 7 intersection points, says the "indirect method" of finding the zeros in (0,2[itex]\pi[/itex]) of sint-sin4t = sint+sin(-4t) =2sin(3t/2)cos(5t/2).

The number 7 is also confirmed by my calculator. So why doesn't the direct method using only the properties of sine, give the correct answer?!?! :confused:

Last edited: Sep 28, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2006 #2

StatusX

Homework Helper

sinA=sinB <=> A=B+2npi or A=(2n+1)pi-B. Remember that sin(x) is periodic with period 2pi, but not one-to-one on a given period (ie, there are points within a single period with the same sin).

4. Sep 28, 2006 #3

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hey, you're right! Thanks StatusX.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?