Fourier series of translated function

psie
Homework Statement
Find the Fourier series of ##h(t)=e^{3it}f(t-4)##, when ##f## has period ##2\pi## and satisfies ##f(t)=1## for ##|t|<2##, ##f(t)=0## for ##2<|t|<\pi##.
Relevant Equations
Previously I worked an exercise where I showed that if ##f## has Fourier coefficients ##(c_n)##, then the function ##t\mapsto e^{iat}f(t)## has Fourier coefficients ##(c_{n-a})## for ##a\in\mathbb Z##. And similarly, the function ##t\mapsto f(t-b)## has Fourier coefficients ##(e^{-inb}c_n)## for ##b\in\mathbb R##.
So here is my attempt. The result doesn't look very nice, so maybe there's a cleaner solution:

From the relevant equations, the coefficients of ##h(t)## should be ##(e^{-i(n-3)4}c_{n-3})##, so I need to find ##(c_n)##. They are given by, assuming ##n\neq0##, \begin{align}\frac1{2\pi}\int_{-\pi}^\pi f(t)e^{-int}dt&=\frac1{2\pi}\int_{-2}^2 e^{-int}dt \nonumber \\ &=\frac1{2\pi}\left[-\frac{e^{-int}}{in}\right]_{-2}^2 \nonumber \\ &=\frac1{2\pi}\left(\frac{e^{i2n}}{in}-\frac{e^{-i2n}}{in}\right) \nonumber \\ &=\frac{\sin(2n)}{\pi n}.\nonumber\end{align} For ##n=0##, we get simply ##\frac2{\pi}##.

Recall the coefficient of ##h(t)## should be ##(e^{-i(n-3)4}c_{n-3})##, so they are $$e^{-i(n-3)4}\frac{\sin (2(n-3))}{\pi(n-3)}\text{ for }n\neq 3,\quad \frac{2}{\pi} \text{ for }n=3 .$$ Therefor the (complex) Fourier series of ##h(t)## must be $$h(t)\sim\frac{2}{\pi}e^{i3t}+\sum_{\substack{k\in\mathbb Z \\ k\neq 3}}e^{-i(n-3)4}\frac{\sin (2(n-3))}{\pi(n-3)}e^{int}.$$

Unfortunately my book does not provide any answer to this exercise, so hence the post. Is this going in the right direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can check your result by performing inverse Fourier transform and seeing if it comes back.

Likes psie

1. How do you define the Fourier series of a translated function?

The Fourier series of a translated function is obtained by shifting the original function by a certain amount in the domain. This shift does not affect the periodicity of the function but changes the phase of the individual Fourier components.

2. What is the significance of studying Fourier series of translated functions?

Studying the Fourier series of translated functions allows us to understand how shifting a function in the domain affects its frequency components. This is essential in signal processing, image analysis, and various other fields where understanding the phase shift is crucial.

3. How do you calculate the Fourier coefficients of a translated function?

To calculate the Fourier coefficients of a translated function, you first find the Fourier series representation of the original function. Then, you apply the phase shift property of the Fourier series to obtain the coefficients of the translated function.

4. Can a translated function have a different Fourier series representation than the original function?

Yes, a translated function can have a different Fourier series representation than the original function. This is because the phase shift introduced by the translation affects the relative phases of the Fourier components, leading to a different representation.

5. How does the period of a translated function relate to its Fourier series?

The period of a translated function remains the same as the period of the original function. However, the phase shift introduced by the translation affects the Fourier series coefficients, leading to a different representation of the function in the frequency domain.