Conmutative Hermitian operator in degenerate perturbation theory

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of degenerate perturbation theory in finding unperturbed wavefunctions by using a set of operators that correspond to symmetries of the system. Taking the square root of an operator is not a valid approach and can lead to nonlocality.
carllacan
Hi.

In 2-fold degenerate perturbation theory we can find appropiate "unperturbate" wavefunctions by looking for simultaneous eigenvectors (with different eigenvalues) of and H° and another Hermitian operator A that conmutes with H° and H'.

Suppose we have the eingenvalues of H° are ##E_n = a(-n)^2 ##, with eivenvectors ##\vert n \rangle ## and ##\vert -n \rangle ## ( where a is some complex number). Since the squared minus sign is what is causing the degeneracy would it be valid to choose ##A = \sqrt{H°}## so that its eigenvalues would simply be ##E_n = a(n) ## and ##E_n = a(-n) ##?

Thank you for your time.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The usual choice is a set of operators that correspond to obvious symmetries of the system. For example let's say I'm calculating the Stark effect. Then I have rotational symmetry about the axis along which the electric field is aligned, say ##z## axis, so I can choose ##J_z## as one of the operators to use in my commuting set of observables for the degenerate perturbation theory calculation. I also have odd parity in the Hamiltonian so another operator to use is the parity operator. With these two operators, corresponding to the obvious azimuthal and odd parity symmetries of the Hamiltonian, I can reduce the Stark effect calculation to a very simple matrix determinant problem.

And no, what you are trying to do by taking the square root of an operator is a very dangerous thing.

WannabeNewton said:
The usual choice is a set of operators that correspond to obvious symmetries of the system. For example let's say I'm calculating the Stark effect. Then I have rotational symmetry about the axis along which the electric field is aligned, say ##z## axis, so I can choose ##J_z## as one of the operators to use in my commuting set of observables for the degenerate perturbation theory calculation. I also have odd parity in the Hamiltonian so another operator to use is the parity operator. With these two operators, corresponding to the obvious azimuthal and odd parity symmetries of the Hamiltonian, I can reduce the Stark effect calculation to a very simple matrix determinant problem.

And no, what you are trying to do by taking the square root of an operator is a very dangerous thing.

I think you can make sense of the square-root of a Hermitian operator in the following sense: If [itex]A[/itex] is some Hermitian operator with positive eigenvalues, then you can define an operator [itex]\sqrt{A}[/itex] via:

[itex]\sqrt{A} |\Psi \rangle = \sum_\alpha \sqrt{\alpha} |\alpha \rangle \langle \alpha | \Psi \rangle[/itex]

where [itex]|\alpha\rangle[/itex] is the eigenstate of [itex]A[/itex] with eigenvalue [itex]\alpha[/itex] (assuming non-degeneracy of the eigenvalues).

[itex]\sqrt{A}[/itex] is a meaningful operator, but in general it will be nonlocal, even if [itex]A[/itex] is local. That is, in a position basis [itex]\sqrt{A} \Psi(x)[/itex] may depend on [itex]\Psi(x')[/itex] for [itex]x'[/itex] far from [itex]x[/itex].

1. What is a commutative Hermitian operator?

A commutative Hermitian operator is an operator in quantum mechanics that satisfies two important properties: it is Hermitian, meaning that its eigenvalues are real numbers, and it commutes with all other operators, meaning that the order in which multiple operators act on a quantum state does not matter.

2. What is degenerate perturbation theory?

Degenerate perturbation theory is a method used in quantum mechanics to calculate the effects of small perturbations on a system with degenerate energy levels, meaning that there are multiple states with the same energy. It involves finding the eigenvalues and eigenstates of the perturbed system by treating the perturbation as a small correction to the original Hamiltonian.

3. How does a commutative Hermitian operator relate to degenerate perturbation theory?

In degenerate perturbation theory, a commutative Hermitian operator is used to diagonalize the perturbation matrix and obtain the eigenvalues and eigenstates of the perturbed system. This is because a commutative Hermitian operator can be used to construct a complete set of commuting observables, which are necessary for finding the eigenstates of a degenerate system.

4. What is the significance of the commutative property in degenerate perturbation theory?

The commutative property is crucial in degenerate perturbation theory because it allows us to construct a complete set of commuting observables, which are necessary for finding the eigenstates of a degenerate system. Without this property, it would be much more difficult to solve for the perturbed eigenstates and energies.

5. Can a non-commutative operator be used in degenerate perturbation theory?

Yes, a non-commutative operator can be used in degenerate perturbation theory, but it would make the calculations significantly more complicated. The commutative property greatly simplifies the calculations and allows for a more efficient solution of the perturbed eigenstates and energies.