1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

(connected and locally path-connected) => (path-connected)

1. Jul 14, 2007 #1

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I'm asked to show that for a metric space M, (connected and locally path connected) ==> (path connected).

The reason for my post is 3-fold.

1) Not 100% sure my solution is correct.
    2) Want confirmation that my proof holds in a general topological space.
    3) I'm interested in hearing about other methods of proof for this result.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Let a be in M and let U be the biggest path-connected open nbhd of a. If U is all of M, then there is nothing to show. If U is not all of M, then first observe that bd(U), the boundary of U, is not empty. If it were, then U would be open and closed, which contradicts the fact that M is connected.

So let x be in bd(U). x must not be in U, otherwise, U would not be open. But since M is locally path-connected, there is an open nbhd V of x that is path-connected and that intersects U. This leads to a contradiction, either because it means x is in U or because U u V is a bigger path-connected open nbhd of a than U is.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 14, 2007 #2

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well now I'm 100% sure that it's correct and I am even more convinced that it holds in a general topological space. My only doubt was related to this part:

that I had proven using 'cl(A)=A u bd(A)'. But I now see clearly that it also holds in a general topological space: If bd(U) is empty, then M\U is closed because U is open and is open also because let y be in M\U. there must be a nbhd W of y that is entirely contained in M\U because the contrary would mean that y is in bd(M\U)=bd(U) ==><==.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?