Connected normal space problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a proof for showing that a connected normal space with more than one point is uncountable. The proof uses the Urysohn lemma and the intermediate value theorem to arrive at a contradiction by assuming the space is countable. However, there was skepticism about a certain part of the proof, which was later resolved by remembering that one-point sets are closed in a normal space. Additionally, the conversation touches on the use of bases in topological spaces and the importance of interesting properties in choosing a basis.
radou
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

Show that a connected normal space having more than one point is uncountable.

The Attempt at a Solution

First of all, if X has more than one point, take the points a and b in X. Let U be an open set containing a. Take a basis element B around a contained in U. Then Cl(B) and X\U are disjoint closed sets containing a and b, respectively.

Since X is normal, by the Urysohn lemma there exists a continuous function f : X --> [0, 1] such that f(Cl(B)) = 0 and f(X\U) = 1.

Now, assume that X is countable, and let f(X) be the image set of f. f(X) is a countable subset of [0, 1], and since X is connected, by the intermediate value theorem, for any r between 0 and 1 there exists some point c of X such that f(c) = r. Let r be some point of [0, 1]\f(X). Then there must exist some c in X which maps to r. Since [0, 1] is uncountable, we arrive at a contradiction with the assumption that X is countable.

I hope this works, thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
I agree with the general proof. But I'm a bit skeptic of this part:

radou said:
First of all, if X has more than one point, take the points a and b in X. Let U be an open set containing a. Take a basis element B around a contained in U. Then Cl(B) and X\U are disjoint closed sets containing a and b, respectively.

Some remarks:
- What do you mean with "Take a basis element B". What basis are you talking about?
- How do you know for certain that X\U contains b? What happens if you took U such that a and b are in U?

You will have to use somewhere that the one-point sets are closed...

Ahhh, a good remark indeed!

I completely forgot that one-point sets closed are a part of the definition of normality! I was skeptic about that very part of my proof too.

Btw, another question, if I have a space, I assume I can't just "take" a basis for it, i.e. simply assume it exists?

If one-point sets are closed in X, it suffices to take two distinct elements a and b from X, and apply the Urysohn lemma to the closed and disjoint sets {a} and {b}.

Btw, the first attempt of my proof was the same, but I just "took" two closed disjoint sets in X, without showing that they exist. That's the point - I can't simply take two such sets. In a general toipological space, they need not exist, right?

Yes, that is correct!

About the basis thing. If you're given a topological space [tex](X,\mathcal{T})[/tex] then you can always find a basis for this space, namely the topology [tex]\mathcal{T}[/tex] itself. But then it isn't really interesting to talk about a basis... You should only work with bases if they have an interesting description of interesting properties. For example, when working with second countable spaces, then there exists a basis with interesting properties, so it makes sense to work with such a basis.

radou said:
Btw, the first attempt of my proof was the same, but I just "took" two closed disjoint sets in X, without showing that they exist. That's the point - I can't simply take two such sets. In a general toipological space, they need not exist, right?

Yes, in a general topology, such a thing will not exist. That's precisly why the T1 axiom is introduced.

micromass said:
Yes, that is correct!

About the basis thing. If you're given a topological space [tex](X,\mathcal{T})[/tex] then you can always find a basis for this space, namely the topology [tex]\mathcal{T}[/tex] itself. But then it isn't really interesting to talk about a basis... You should only work with bases if they have an interesting description of interesting properties. For example, when working with second countable spaces, then there exists a basis with interesting properties, so it makes sense to work with such a basis.

Yes, I see.

micromass said:
Yes, in a general topology, such a thing will not exist. That's precisly why the T1 axiom is introduced.

OK, thanks!

1. What is the "Connected normal space problem"?

The Connected normal space problem is a mathematical problem that asks whether every normal topological space is also connected. In other words, it is a question about the relationship between two important properties of topological spaces.

2. Why is the "Connected normal space problem" important?

The Connected normal space problem is important because it has implications for many areas of mathematics, including topology, analysis, and algebraic geometry. It also has practical applications in computer science and engineering.

3. What is the current status of the "Connected normal space problem"?

The Connected normal space problem is still an open problem, meaning that it has not yet been solved. However, there have been significant advancements and progress made towards understanding this problem in recent years.

4. What are some potential solutions to the "Connected normal space problem"?

There are several possible solutions to the Connected normal space problem, including constructing examples of spaces that are both normal and disconnected, or proving that all normal spaces must be connected. Another approach is to find a characterization or classification of normal and connected spaces.

5. What are some applications of the "Connected normal space problem"?

The Connected normal space problem has applications in various fields of mathematics, including topology, analysis, and algebraic geometry. It also has practical applications in computer science and engineering, such as in the design of networks and circuits.