Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Connecting VCR to Apple Computer/ vice versa

1. Mar 24, 2008 #1
    Hi,

I need to make a 2 minute video, and it has to be on VHS for submittal. I have a digital camera and I could use that to make the video, I wanted to put it onto my MacBook to edit. I just don't know how I can get it off my MacBook and onto a VHS Tape (the format it is required to be in). I was thinking I could probably just record it onto a VHS Camcorder but then I couldn't edit it at all. Is there any way to record video on a digital camera, load it to a computer, and then transfer it to a VHS tape? Please help!

Can anyone please please please help me?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 24, 2008 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

The output from a computer to a VCR is in the form of an s-video or RCA output. These days, most computers have one.

The input from the camcorder to the computer is more problematic. Most computers do not come with them. You need an add-in device for it.

4. Mar 24, 2008 #3

jtbell

You should have iMovie, because it comes with new Macs. You can not only import video from a camcorder to iMovie via FireWire, you can also export to a camcorder via FireWire. Look in iMovie Help under "Sharing your finished movie", then "Copying your movie back to tape." This is with iMovie HD (iMovie 6); it may be a bit different with other versions.

(Note I haven't actually done this myself. I don't even have a camcorder. I'm just going by what I see in the help files.)

5. Mar 24, 2008 #4

russ_watters

Trouble is, VHS camcorders don't have firewire.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?