1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Connections between Linear and Rotational Quantities

1. Feb 7, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A wheel of radius R starts from rest and accelerates with a constant angular acceleration α about a fixed axis. At what time t will the centripetal and tangential acceleration of a point on the rim have the same magnitude?

2. Relevant equations
    acp=r x ω2

at= r x α

ω= 2π / T → T=2π/ω

3. The attempt at a solution
    The problem states that the centripetal and tangential acceleration will have the same magnitude at time t.
    So I listed the equation for centripetal acceleration and tangential acceleration and thought that I can put them equal to each other since the magnitudes are the same.

R x ω2 =R x α I canceled out the R

ω2= α Here I thought that since ω equals 2π/T I could substitute it for ω since it has T for period
    which relates to time​
    (2π/T)2 = α I took the square root of that.

2π/T = √α Solving for T

T = 2π/(√α)

So would this be the time? The AP Physics Book (3rd Edition by James S. Walker doesn't give me a solution since the problem number is even (only gives for odd).

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 7, 2015 #2

Nathanael

Homework Helper

The period isn't important. You have ω2=α. You know that α is constant. You know that ω starts at zero. Can you then find ω as a function of time?

4. Feb 7, 2015 #3
    Hmm. So would that be w(final)=w(initial)+ a(alpha) t ?
    Only one that doees not invovle angular distance. Hmm so I could substitute w^2 for alpha in the equation.

5. Feb 7, 2015 #4

Nathanael

Homework Helper

And what do you get?

6. Feb 9, 2015 #5
    I apologize for replying so late. An assignment turned out to be more time consuming than I thought it would be.
    Anyways so if I plug in w2,

I get W(final)=W(initial) + W2 * t W(initial) is zero and solving for t give me

t = W(final)/ W2

Would it be possible to cancel out the W to get 1/W ?

7. Feb 9, 2015 #6

Nathanael

Homework Helper

Yes that would be okay. But it may be better to write the final answer in terms of α, since α is a known quantity.

8. Feb 10, 2015 #7
    How would write it in terms of alpha since I substitute it with w^2

9. Feb 10, 2015 #8

lightgrav

Homework Helper

substitute the alpha back in?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted