Connections between Linear and Rotational Quantities

In summary, at time t, the centripetal and tangential acceleration of a point on the wheel have the same magnitude.
Soniteflash

Homework Statement

A wheel of radius R starts from rest and accelerates with a constant angular acceleration α about a fixed axis. At what time t will the centripetal and tangential acceleration of a point on the rim have the same magnitude?

Homework Equations

acp=r x ω2

at= r x α

ω= 2π / T → T=2π/ω

The Attempt at a Solution

The problem states that the centripetal and tangential acceleration will have the same magnitude at time t.
So I listed the equation for centripetal acceleration and tangential acceleration and thought that I can put them equal to each other since the magnitudes are the same.

R x ω2 =R x α I canceled out the R

ω2= α Here I thought that since ω equals 2π/T I could substitute it for ω since it has T for period
which relates to time​
(2π/T)2 = α I took the square root of that.

2π/T = √α Solving for T

T = 2π/(√α)

So would this be the time? The AP Physics Book (3rd Edition by James S. Walker doesn't give me a solution since the problem number is even (only gives for odd).

Physics news on Phys.org
The period isn't important. You have ω2=α. You know that α is constant. You know that ω starts at zero. Can you then find ω as a function of time?

Likes Soniteflash
Hmm. So would that be w(final)=w(initial)+ a(alpha) t ?
Only one that doees not invovle angular distance. Hmm so I could substitute w^2 for alpha in the equation.

And what do you get?

I apologize for replying so late. An assignment turned out to be more time consuming than I thought it would be.
Anyways so if I plug in w2,

I get W(final)=W(initial) + W2 * t W(initial) is zero and solving for t give me

t = W(final)/ W2

Would it be possible to cancel out the W to get 1/W ?

Soniteflash said:
Would it be possible to cancel out the W to get 1/W ?
Yes that would be okay. But it may be better to write the final answer in terms of α, since α is a known quantity.

How would write it in terms of alpha since I substitute it with w^2

substitute the alpha back in?

Likes Soniteflash

1. What is the difference between linear and rotational quantities?

Linear quantities refer to measurements that involve distance and displacement in a straight line, while rotational quantities involve measurements that relate to rotation and circular motion.

2. How are linear and rotational quantities related?

Linear and rotational quantities are related through their respective units of measurement. For example, both linear and rotational quantities can be measured in units of distance (such as meters or feet) and time (such as seconds or minutes).

3. Can linear quantities be converted into rotational quantities?

Yes, linear quantities can be converted into rotational quantities by using the correct mathematical equations and conversion factors. For example, to convert a linear distance into a rotational distance, the linear distance can be divided by the circumference of the circle to which it relates.

4. What are some examples of linear and rotational quantities in everyday life?

Linear quantities can be seen in actions such as walking, driving a car, or throwing a ball. Rotational quantities can be observed in actions such as spinning a top, turning a doorknob, or riding a bike.

5. How do linear and rotational quantities affect each other in mechanical systems?

Linear and rotational quantities are connected in mechanical systems through concepts like torque and angular velocity. For example, a force applied at a distance from an axis of rotation will create a torque, resulting in rotational motion.