Calculating Radial Acceleration of a Rotating Wheel

In summary, we are given a wheel with a diameter of 45 cm that starts from rest and rotates with a constant angular acceleration of 2.50 rad/s2. We are asked to calculate the radial acceleration of a point on the rim in two different ways: using the relationship aredial=ω2r and from the relationship aredial=v2/r. After solving for the necessary variables, we find that both methods result in the same answer of 1413.716694. However, it is important to note that there was a mistake in the original calculation due to the wheel's diameter being incorrectly stated as 45m instead of 45cm.
David112234

Homework Statement

A wheel of diameter 45.0 cm starts from rest and rotates with a constant angular acceleration of 2.50 rad/s2 . At the instant the wheel has completed its second revolution, compute the radial acceleration of a point on the rim in two ways.

1 Using the relationship aredial2r.

2 From the relationship aredial=v2/r.

Homework Equations

v=ωr
rotational kinematics
aredial2r
aredial=v2/r.

The Attempt at a Solution

α= 2.5
it says second rotation so θ= 2π*2 = 12.57

θ = ωt + ½ α t2
12.57 = ½ 2.5 t2
t= 3.171

ω = ω + α t
ω = 2.5 (3.171)
ω = 7.927

aredial2r
a = 7.9272 * 22.5 = 1413.716694

2 should be the same answer since the equations are equal
why is my answer wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
David112234 said:
why is my answer wrong?

Is the diameter of the wheel ##45m## or ##45cm##?

Likes David112234
PeroK said:
Is the diameter of the wheel ##45m## or ##45cm##?
got it, there was my mistake, thank you

1. What is rotational kinematics?

Rotational kinematics is the study of the motion of objects that rotate around a fixed axis. It involves analyzing the position, velocity, and acceleration of rotating objects.

2. What is angular displacement?

Angular displacement is the change in the angle of rotation of an object. It is measured in radians or degrees and can be either positive or negative depending on the direction of rotation.

3. How is angular velocity different from linear velocity?

Angular velocity is the rate of change of angular displacement over time, while linear velocity is the rate of change of linear displacement over time. Angular velocity is measured in radians per second, while linear velocity is measured in meters per second.

4. What is the relationship between angular acceleration and torque?

Angular acceleration is directly proportional to the torque applied to an object and inversely proportional to the moment of inertia of the object. This relationship is described by the equation α = τ/I, where α is angular acceleration, τ is torque, and I is moment of inertia.

5. How is rotational kinematics used in real-life applications?

Rotational kinematics is used in various real-life applications, such as designing car engines and analyzing the motion of planets and other celestial bodies. It is also crucial in sports, such as gymnastics and figure skating, where athletes perform rotational movements. In addition, rotational kinematics is used in robotics, where it is essential to control the movement of robotic arms and joints.