Consecutive integers, each relatively prime to some k

In summary, the conversation discusses the existence of an integer n satisfying the equation gcd(n,k)=gcd(n+1,k)=1 for a given composite odd integer k>=9. The question is whether such an n exists in a specific interval or in general. An example is provided where n=5 and k=91, but it is noted that this method is not general. The conversation ends with a request for a provable proposition for specific bounds on the interval.
r731
Hello,

Say I have some integer n in some interval such that,
gcd(n, k) = gcd(n + 1, k) = 1, for some composite odd integer k >= 9
I want to know if such n exists in that interval. To know that one exists suffices.

I have tried to think in terms of modular arithmetic where for all primes in k, the smaller of which is "embedded" inside the larger one: e.g. given two primes 5 and 13, the latter determines the outer "clock" while, beginning from zero, number 5 puts marks on that clock (which uses arithmetic modulo 13). For some obvious reasons, this got really complicated...

I'm not sure either whether writing out a linear combination for each gcd will lead somewhere.

I'm not expecting a full solution. I just need some guidance (or to know whether this is solvable at all).
Thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
gcd(k,k+1)=1 for all k∈ℤ. Start with n=k+1 and try to find a k such that gcd(k,k+2)=1

Edit: Sorry, I think I misread your post. Are you looking for a specific example, or are you looking for a general test?

r731 said:
Say I have some integer n in some interval such that,
gcd(n, k) = gcd(n + 1, k) = 1, for some composite odd integer k >= 9
I want to know if such n exists in that interval. To know that one exists suffices.
The question is unclear. What is the interval you are asking about, and what role does it play in the question?

Certainly we can find integers n and k that satisfy your equation, for instance:

n=5, k=91=13x7 gives gcd(5,91)=gcd(6,91)=1

Here is an example:

Show that,
gcd(x, 5005) = gcd(x + 1, 5005) = 1 is true for some x,
where 2085 < x < 2110 and 5005 = 5*7*11*13

(Numbers 2085 and 2110 are not totally arbitrary.)

I need to show that it's true, in a general way. I'm not looking for a method "similar" to the sieve of Eratosthenes; not an algorithm, where the output of which is examined for each input. It's easy to prove the above example by using a program, but that method is not general.

Hopefully I made it more clear...

It is not true in general. For instance there is no x such that
gcd(x, 105) = gcd(x + 1, 105) = 1
and
13 < x < 16.

To get a provable proposition, you will need to introduce some constraints on what the bounds of the interval may be. You said that the bounds in your example were not totally arbitrary. Are you able to work out a rule for what sorts of bounds you wish to consider?

1. What does it mean for integers to be relatively prime to some k?

Integers are relatively prime to some k if they share no common factors other than 1. In other words, their greatest common divisor is 1.

2. Can consecutive integers be relatively prime to any number k?

Yes, consecutive integers can be relatively prime to any number k. For example, the integers 3 and 4 are relatively prime to 7, and they are consecutive integers.

3. How do you determine if two consecutive integers are relatively prime to each other?

To determine if two consecutive integers are relatively prime, you can find the greatest common divisor of the two integers. If the greatest common divisor is 1, then the integers are relatively prime to each other.

4. Can three or more consecutive integers be relatively prime to each other?

Yes, three or more consecutive integers can be relatively prime to each other. For example, the integers 5, 6, and 7 are all relatively prime to 11, and they are consecutive integers.

5. Why is it important for consecutive integers to be relatively prime to some k?

It is important for consecutive integers to be relatively prime to some k in certain mathematical applications, such as cryptography. In these applications, having consecutive integers that are relatively prime to some k helps ensure the security and effectiveness of the method being used.