Consequences of Leukocytosis in old age woman

  • Topic: Medical 
  • Thread starter Thread starter AGNuke
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Age
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
AGNuke
Gold Member
Messages
455
Reaction score
9
My grandmother (age 76) was admitted to a hospital two weeks ago. One part of her diagnosis report caught my attention - her WBC count was 25000/μL of blood, which is more than thrice the optimal value. While the double value would be acceptable considering she is old and such, but I clearly do not trust those doctors there, siphoning money out of her.

What I want to know are the consequences of such leukocytosis in her age.

For the record, she has quite the problems on her part:
  1. She has a Hernia in stomach
  2. She has a fracture in pelvic bone (Probably greenstick)
  3. She has Diabetes, High BP
  4. She somewhat suffered some sort of temporary "flashback amnesia" (Probably due to increased sugar level after she was hospitalized)
 
Biology news on Phys.org
AGNuke said:
My grandmother (age 76) was admitted to a hospital two weeks ago. One part of her diagnosis report caught my attention - her WBC count was 25000/μL of blood, which is more than thrice the optimal value. While the double value would be acceptable considering she is old and such, but I clearly do not trust those doctors there, siphoning money out of her.

What I want to know are the consequences of such leukocytosis in her age.

For the record, she has quite the problems on her part:
  1. She has a Hernia in stomach
  2. She has a fracture in pelvic bone (Probably greenstick)
  3. She has Diabetes, High BP
  4. She somewhat suffered some sort of temporary "flashback amnesia" (Probably due to increased sugar level after she was hospitalized)
A high white blood cell count is only an idication of a problem. If they do not know the cause, this could be the reason for hospitalization to do extensive testing.
 
I am sure that they just want to siphon off money. Before she was hospitalized, everything was normal. But they kept her in ICU needlessly for two weeks now. And furthermore, they are relentlessly administering her with adrenaline and anesthesia, which I am sure is quite overdone. Say, isn't this leukocytosis is because of those injections?
 
Obviously, we know nothing about your grandmother's medical condition, and even if we did, we cannot even begin to speculate about her condition. I suggest that if you don't trust her doctors, get a second opinion.