1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conservation Laws - Finding angle ?

1. Nov 3, 2011 #1
    Conservation Laws - Finding angle ???

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Having trouble with question 2, a) - See below

10f9ibl.png

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Which conservations laws am I suppoe to use to figure this out?

THanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 3, 2011 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Re: Conservation Laws - Finding angle ???

What conservation laws do you know? Which ones are usually applied to kinematic problems?

EDIT: @ehild: Spooky.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2011
  4. Nov 3, 2011 #3

You can use the conservation of momentum law that states the momentum before the collision is equal to the momentum after the collision. momentum being equal to mass*velocity.

You can use the law that states that potential energy before the action is equal to the kinetic energy after the action to find the height in which the ball travelled upward.

Those were the only two that I needed to solve the problem, good luck!

5. Nov 5, 2011 #4

Potential, can you tell me the formula you used?

Im still having trouble with A), finding the angle?

6. Nov 5, 2011 #5

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Use conservation of momentum to find the velocity immediately after the putty sticks to the wood.

That velocity gives you the KE of the wood+putty. After that, conservation of energy (Gravitational PE vs KE) will tell you how high the wood+putty can rise. After that it's just geometry.

Why don't you start by writing the expression for conservation of momentum that pertains to the collision?

7. Nov 5, 2011 #6

I used the formula PE=mgh and KE=(mv^2)/2
    the law states that the potential energy at the top is equal to the kinetic energy at the bottom, so mgh=(mv^2)/2

and as for the law of momentum, Pbefore = Pafter (p is momentum) so before the collision, the only thing moving was the putty. after the collision, both the putty and the wooden ball are moving. so, Mputty*Vputty=(Mputty+Mball)*V (the velocity would be the new velocity of the ball and putty combined)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook