Conservation of angular momentum in an inelastic collision?

In summary, a 0.380 kg glob of clay strikes a 0.9 kg bar at a point 0.430 m from the center of the bar and sticks to it. Given a bar length of 1.300 m and initial clay speed of 8.100 m/s, the final speed of the center of mass is 2.405 m/s. The system rotates about its center of mass with an angular speed of 5.73 rad/s, calculated using the Parallel Axis Theorem to determine the moment of inertia of the bar+clay system.
mot

Homework Statement

On a frictionless table, a glob of clay of mass 0.380 kg strikes a bar of mass 0.9 kg perpendicularly at a point 0.550 m from the center of the bar and sticks to it.
a) a) If the bar is 1.300 m long and the clay is moving at 8.100 m/s before striking the bar, what is the final speed of the center of mass? (Got this, 2.405m/s)
b)At what angular speed does the bar/clay system rotate about its center of mass after the impact (in rad/s)?

Homework Equations

Li=Lf
L=r x p =mrv (when theta = 90, as in this case)
L=Iw
I of a rod = (ML2)/12
xcenter of mass=Ʃmx/Ʃm

The Attempt at a Solution

m = mass of clay
M=mass of bar
u=clay's initial speed
r=the distance from the clay to the new CM

So I set one end of the bar as x=0 and the other as x=1.3 to calculate CM
CM=((0.38)(0.65+0.55)+(0.65)(0.9))/(0.9+0.38)=0.81328m from the end of the bar
r=1.2-0.81328=0.3867m

Initial angular velocity=mru
Final " "=((1/12)ML2+mr2
so ω=(mru)/((1/12)(ML2+mr2)
When I plug in my values, I get the wrong answer, it is supposed to be 5.73. Where am I going wrong? I have spent hours at this :( I'm so frustrated!

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
mot said:

Homework Statement

On a frictionless table, a glob of clay of mass 0.380 kg strikes a bar of mass 0.9 kg perpendicularly at a point 0.430 m from the center of the bar and sticks to it.
a) a) If the bar is 1.300 m long and the clay is moving at 8.100 m/s before striking the bar, what is the final speed of the center of mass? (Got this, 2.405m/s)
b)At what angular speed does the bar/clay system rotate about its center of mass after the impact (in rad/s)?

Homework Equations

Li=Lf
L=r x p =mrv (when theta = 90, as in this case)
L=Iw
I of a rod = (ML2)/12
xcenter of mass=Ʃmx/Ʃm

m = mass of clay
M=mass of bar
u=clay's initial speed
r=the distance from the clay to the new CM

So I set one end of the bar as x=0 and the other as x=1.3 to calculate CM
CM=((0.38)(0.65+0.55)+(0.65)(0.9))/(0.9+0.38)=0.81328m from the end of the bar
r=1.2-0.81328=0.3867m

Where are the data in red come from?

mot said:
Initial angular velocity=mru
Final " "=((1/12)ML2+mr2

You need the moment of inertia with respect to the new CM. (1/12)ML2 is the moment of inertia with respect to the centre of the rod.

ehild

Sorry I made a typo in the question, 0.43 should have been 0.55. I've fixed it now. (1.2 is 0.65+0.55, the "position" of the clay on the rod with respect to the end).

That's what I was thinking with the moment of inertia...but doesn't adding the mr^2 take that into account?
I could also do I=Ʃmr^2, where r is the distance from the new CM
=(0.9)(0.81328-0.65)^2+(0.38)(0.3867)^2=0.0808

and my old I=((1/12)(0.9)(1.3^2)+(0.38)(0.3867^2))=0.1836

The new I gives me 14.7rad/s when I plug it into the equation:(

Last edited:
mot said:
That's what I was thinking with the moment of inertia...but doesn't adding the mr^2 take that into account?
No. That's the blob of clay's contribution to the moment of inertia of the bar+clay system. The bar's contribution is the moment of inertia of the bar about the combined center of mass.

Hint: Parallel axis theorem.

Thanks so much guys, I got it! It seemed so obvious this morning, I guess that's why you shouldn't do physics at 2am. I was comparing it to a question I had done with a mass on a rotating disc, forgetting that the disc was still rotating about the central axis

1. What is conservation of angular momentum in an inelastic collision?

Conservation of angular momentum in an inelastic collision is a principle in physics that states that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant before and after an inelastic collision. This means that the sum of the angular momentum of all objects involved in the collision will remain the same, even if the objects stick together or deform during the collision.

2. How is angular momentum calculated in an inelastic collision?

Angular momentum is calculated by multiplying the mass of an object by its velocity and the distance between the object and the axis of rotation. In an inelastic collision, the initial angular momentum of the system is equal to the final angular momentum, as long as there are no external torques acting on the system.

3. What is an inelastic collision?

An inelastic collision is a type of collision where the total kinetic energy of the system is not conserved. This means that some of the initial kinetic energy is lost during the collision, usually in the form of heat or sound. In an inelastic collision, the objects involved may stick together or undergo deformation, unlike in an elastic collision where the objects bounce off each other without any change in shape.

4. What is the difference between conservation of angular momentum and conservation of linear momentum?

Conservation of angular momentum refers to the principle that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant before and after an inelastic collision. On the other hand, conservation of linear momentum states that the total momentum of a system remains constant before and after any type of collision, whether it is elastic or inelastic. Linear momentum is the product of an object's mass and velocity, while angular momentum also takes into account its distance from the axis of rotation.

5. What are some real-life examples of inelastic collisions and conservation of angular momentum?

One example of an inelastic collision and conservation of angular momentum is a car accident. When two cars collide, their total angular momentum before and after the collision will remain the same, even if the cars end up sticking together or deforming. Another example is a figure skater performing a spin. As the skater pulls their arms closer to their body, their rotational speed increases, demonstrating conservation of angular momentum.