Conservation of Angular Momentum

In summary, a solid cylinder merry-go-round with a mass of 250kg and a radius of 1.9m is spinning at 1 revolution every 5 seconds. A 40kg child is sitting at 1.1m from the axis. A 50kg child, running tangentially at 3m/s, jumps on the merry-go-round at the outer edge. Using the equation I1ω1=I2ω2, where I is the moment of inertia and ω is the angular velocity, the new rotation rate is found to be 0.214 revolutions per second. The initial and final angular velocities were converted from revolutions per second to radians per second and back to revolutions per second.
icf927

Homework Statement

A solid cylinder merry-go-round of mass 250kg and radius of 1.9m spinning at 1 revolution every 5 seconds has a 40kg child sitting at 1.1m from the axis. A 50kg child, running tangentially at 3m/s, jumps on the merry go round at the outer edge. What is the new rotation rate in rev/s?

Homework Equations

I1ω1=I2ω2

The Attempt at a Solution

(1/2MR^2 +m1r^2)ω1 + (m2r^2)(v/r)=(1/2MR^2 +m1r^2 +m2r^2)ω2
I plugged in all the variables and solved for ω2 and got 0.214 rev/s. Did I set up the equation correctly and come about the right answer?

Physics news on Phys.org
The radii are different for the children.

ehild

yes I plugged in the different radii. I just forgot to put a 1 and 2 behind them in the equations.

Could you please show your calculations in detail?

ehild

(1/2(250kg)(1.9m)^2)(1.256637061rad/s)+((50kg)(1.9m)^2(3m/s/1.9m)=(1/2(250kg)(1.9m)^2+(40kg)(1.1m)^2+(50kg)(1.9m)^2)w2.

solved for angular velocity(w2) and got 0.214rev/s. is this the right set up?

icf927 said:
(1/2(250kg)(1.9m)^2)(1.256637061rad/s)+((50kg)(1.9m)^2(3m/s/1.9m)=(1/2(250kg)(1.9m)^2+(40kg)(1.1m)^2+(50kg)(1.9m)^2)w2.

solved for angular velocity(w2) and got 0.214rev/s. is this the right set up?

You left out the first child on the left hand side.

ehild

I did it on paper just forgot to type it on here. When I include the first child on the left hand side, is that the right setup?

It is, but I got different result. Show calculations in detail.

ehild

Did you change the initial angular velocity from revolution/sec to rad/sec and then change the final answer back to revolutions/sec

Ops! You are right. I calculated w. So your result is correct.

ehild

What is conservation of angular momentum?

Conservation of angular momentum is a physical law that states that the total angular momentum of a closed system remains constant over time. It means that the amount of rotational motion in a system will remain the same, unless acted upon by an external torque.

How is angular momentum calculated?

Angular momentum (L) is calculated by multiplying the moment of inertia (I) by the angular velocity (ω). This can be represented by the equation L = Iω. The moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion, while the angular velocity is the rate at which the object is rotating.

What is the principle of conservation of angular momentum?

The principle of conservation of angular momentum states that the total angular momentum of a system will remain constant as long as there is no external torque acting on the system. This means that the total amount of rotational motion in a system will not change unless an external force or torque is applied.

How is conservation of angular momentum related to Newton's laws of motion?

Conservation of angular momentum is related to Newton's laws of motion in that it is derived from the first law, also known as the law of inertia. This law states that an object will remain at rest or in uniform motion in a straight line unless acted upon by a net external force. In the case of angular momentum, this external force would be a torque.

What are some real-life examples of conservation of angular momentum?

One example of conservation of angular momentum is when an ice skater spins with their arms extended and then pulls them in closer to their body. This increases their rotational speed, but their total angular momentum remains the same. Another example is the motion of a spinning top, which will maintain its rotation as long as there is no external force or friction acting upon it.