Conservation of Energy confusion

In summary: I messed up and didn't include the height of the ledge in my calculation. Once I get that corrected, your answer will work.
kisbester

Homework Statement

A dog takes a running horizontal leap off a 10 m cliff and jumps with a speed of 3 m/s onto a ledge 4 m below the height of the cliff. With what speed does he land on the ledge?

Homework Equations

KEi + PEi = KEf + PEf
1/2mvi2 + mghi = 1/2mvf2 + mghf

The Attempt at a Solution

Attempt #1:

(masses cancel, g ≈ 10m/s2)

1/2(3m/s)2 + (10m/s2)(10m) = 1/2vf2 + (10m/s2)(4m)

1/2(9)+100 = 1/2vf2 + 40

4.5 + 60 = 1/2vf2

2(64.5) = 129 = vf2

[itex]\sqrt{}129[/itex] = vf

vf = 11.36

This is not the correct answer, however, upon looking at the solution the only difference is that they make the original height equal to zero and the final height equal to -4. This of course excludes PE from the first half of the equation. I realize that it would have been simpler for me to do the problem in that way. I don't, however, understand why it doesn't work to do it the way that I did it. Shouldn't it only be the difference in PE that matters? Should the final height have been something different than 4 for my version to work? Any clarification would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
kisbester said:
This is not the correct answer, however, upon looking at the solution the only difference is that they make the original height equal to zero and the final height equal to -4. This of course excludes PE from the first half of the equation. I realize that it would have been simpler for me to do the problem in that way. I don't, however, understand why it doesn't work to do it the way that I did it. Shouldn't it only be the difference in PE that matters? Should the final height have been something different than 4 for my version to work? Any clarification would be greatly appreciated.
Your error is thinking that the height of the ledge is 4 m. Note that the ledge is stated to be 4 m below the cliff, not 4 m from the bottom.

If you compare your calculation to the solution given, you'll see that the difference in PE is not the same.

Get the correct height of the ledge and your method is fine.

Ugh, thank you so much.

What is Conservation of Energy?

Conservation of Energy is a fundamental law of physics that states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be transformed from one form to another. This means that the total amount of energy in a closed system remains constant over time.

What is the difference between potential and kinetic energy?

Potential energy is the energy that an object possesses due to its position or condition, while kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. Potential energy can be converted into kinetic energy and vice versa.

How does the conservation of energy apply to everyday life?

Conservation of energy applies to everyday life in many ways, such as when we turn on a light switch, the electrical energy is converted into light and heat energy. It also applies to our bodies, as we consume food (chemical potential energy) and convert it into energy for our daily activities. It is a fundamental principle in all energy-related processes.

Why is the conservation of energy important?

The conservation of energy is important because it helps us understand and predict the behavior of physical systems and natural phenomena. It also allows us to make use of energy in an efficient and sustainable manner, which is crucial for the well-being of our planet and future generations.

Is the conservation of energy always true?

The conservation of energy is a fundamental law of physics, and as such, it is considered to be always true. However, in certain situations, such as in quantum mechanics and general relativity, the concept of conservation of energy may become more complex and may not always hold true in its traditional form.