Conservation of energy experiment

In summary, the total energy in a system remains constant, regardless of the mass of the objects involved. This can be shown by calculating the kinetic and gravitational energy, which do not depend on the mass, and observing that they remain the same throughout the system's motion. Therefore, knowing the mass is not necessary to demonstrate conservation of energy.
dba

Homework Statement

We had an air track and let a cart of mass m travel downhill. The we calculated the velocity and firther the kinetic energy K and the gravitational energy U. We did this to show that the total energy in the system stays constant.

Now I need to answer the question if I could still show that the total energy would be conserved if the mass was unknown.

Homework Equations

K=1/2mv^2
U=mgh

The Attempt at a Solution

I was looking at the parts where the mass would be involved. This seems to be in both formulas. Thus, my guess is that the mass would be cancel out and it would not matter if I know the mass or not. I could write initial kinetic energy + initial potential energy = final kinetic energy + final potential energy.
My problem is that I do not know if I am thinking in the right direction. So, if someone could help me and let me know if I am right or wrong with my thought, that would be great.
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you are correct. The mass m would cancel out. Hence, you would not need it to simulate conservation of energy.

What is the conservation of energy experiment?

The conservation of energy experiment is a scientific investigation that aims to demonstrate the principle of energy conservation, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be converted from one form to another.

Why is the conservation of energy experiment important?

The conservation of energy experiment is important because it helps us understand and apply the fundamental principle of energy conservation in various fields such as physics, engineering, and environmental science. It also allows us to analyze and predict the behavior of energy in different systems.

How is the conservation of energy experiment performed?

The conservation of energy experiment is typically performed by measuring the initial and final energy states of a closed system and observing any changes in energy, such as potential or kinetic energy. This can be done using various methods, such as using simple machines, conducting pendulum experiments, or using thermal energy conversions.

What are some examples of the conservation of energy experiment?

Some examples of the conservation of energy experiment include the classic pendulum experiment, where the potential energy of a swinging pendulum is converted into kinetic energy and back to potential energy, and the ball rolling down a ramp experiment, where the potential energy of the ball at the top of the ramp is converted into kinetic energy as it rolls down.

What are the real-world applications of the conservation of energy experiment?

The conservation of energy experiment has many real-world applications, such as in the design and optimization of energy-efficient buildings and transportation systems, the development of renewable energy sources, and the understanding of natural phenomena like energy transfer in ecosystems. It is also crucial in the development of new technologies and the improvement of existing ones.