Conservation of Energy of a rolling sphere

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
mathmannn
Messages
15
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A sphere rolling with an initial velocity of 30 ft/s starts up a plane inclined at an angle of 30o with the horizontal as shown. How far will it roll up the plane before it rolls back down?

Homework Equations



[itex]T_1+V_1=T_2+V_2[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution


We are doing rigid bodies so I started with

[itex]T_1+V_1=T_2+V_2[/itex] Where [itex]V_1=T_2=0[/itex] So I have

[itex]T_1=V_2[/itex]

[itex].5 m v^2 = m g h[/itex]

[itex]h=x\sin(30)[/itex]

Which gives me [itex].5(30)^2 = (32.2)(x \sin(30))[/itex]

[itex]x=27.95[/itex]


And that is not one of the answers, I assume inertia is supposed to be used somewhere but I have no idea where to plug it in because no radius of the circle is give.. Any help would be very much appreciated\



EDIT:
I tried using Inertia like this:

[itex]T_1 = V_2[/itex]

[itex]T_1 = .5 I \omega^2 + .5mv^2 \quad, \qquad \omega = v/r[/itex]

[itex]I=.5 m r^2[/itex]

[itex]T_1 = .5((.5 m r^2)(\frac{v}{r})^2) + .5 m v^2[/itex]

[itex]T_1 = \frac{1}{4} m v^2 + \frac{1}{2} m v^2 = \frac{3}{4}mv^2[/itex]

[itex]\frac{3}{4}mv^2 = m g x \sin(30)[/itex]

[itex]x = \frac{3v^2}{4 g \sin(30)} \qquad, x=41.9255[/itex]

Still not an answer but closer than I was.. Any suggestions?
 
Attachments
  • Screen Shot 2012-04-13 at 12.17.28 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-04-13 at 12.17.28 AM.png
    8.8 KB · Views: 637
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's a sphere! Assuming this to be a case of rolling without slipping, the the total energy in the sphere is [itex]\frac{7}{10}[/itex]mv[itex]^{2}[/itex]

Here's how:

Total energy
= Translational Kinetic energy + Rotational kinetic energy
= [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]mv[itex]^{2}[/itex] + [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]I[itex]\omega[/itex][itex]^{2}[/itex]

(m = mass
v = velocity
I= moment of iniertia about the centre
[itex]\omega[/itex]=angular velocity about the centre
r=radius of the sphere
)

=[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]mv[itex]^{2}[/itex] + [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]([itex]\frac{2}{5}[/itex]mr[itex]^{2}[/itex])[itex]\omega[/itex][itex]^{2}[/itex]


(Because I = [itex]\frac{2}{5}[/itex]mr[itex]^{2}[/itex], for a sphere)

=[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]mv[itex]^{2}[/itex] + [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]([itex]\frac{2}{5}[/itex]mr[itex]^{2}[/itex])([itex]\frac{v}{r}[/itex])[itex]^{2}[/itex]


(Because v = [itex]\omega[/itex]r, for rolling without slipping)

Solving this gives [itex]\frac{7}{10}[/itex]mv[itex]^{2}[/itex].

Try putting that and you should get an answer.