Conservation of Energy Possibly

In summary, the problem involves an elevator with a mass of 3990 kg at rest, a distance of 48.2 m above a cushioning spring with a spring constant of 21300 N/m, and a frictional force of 13784 N opposing its motion. You need to find the maximum distance, x, by which the cushioning spring will be compressed. This can be solved using the conservation of energy, where the work done by the spring is equal to 1/2kx^2 and the work done by the elevator's weight and frictional force can be calculated and used to solve for x.
Heisenberg.

Homework Statement

The cable of an elevator of mass M = 3990 kg snaps when the elevator is a rest at one of the floors of a skyscraper. At this point the elevator is a distance d = 48.2 m above a cushioning spring whose spring constant is k = 21300 N/m. A safety device clamps the elevator against the guide rails so that a constant frictional force of f = 13784 N opposes the motion of the elevator. Find the maximum distance,x, by which the cushioning spring will be compressed.

Homework Equations

Uspring= (kx^2)/2
Ugrav=mgh
W=F*d=-U
Ffriction=mu*N

The Attempt at a Solution

Einitial=Efinal + deltaE
Einitial=mgh
Efinal=U + ((Ffriction*d) + (Ffriction*x))
mgh=(kx^2/2) + Ff*d + Ff*x
After plugging in numbers, I then set the equation equal to zero, then factored - I got an answer of 16.6 m for the value of x - the answer was incorrect - I went with the idea that it was a conservation of energy problem, I also added the work done by the frictional force -I'm not sure what I am doing wrong, or of any alternative method - please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
im sorry to resort to this - but id at least like this to be viewed.. bump

i'm working on it so you know that someone has seen it!

ah thank-you! there are rumors that I might have to not only find the work done by the frictional force but also the work done by gravity and the work done by the spring, I am not sure how to logically account for all that

okay here are my thoughts...

you were right in thinking that this is a conservation of energy problem, or at least that is what I did too. we know that the work done by the spring is equal to 1/2kx2, and we also know that work is defined as force times distance. you can solve for the force of the elevator (think weight and force of friction) as it moves over the distance(that is given too!) and solve for the x value. hopefully that is helpful!

**solve for the x value where W=1/2kx^2!

sorry that was not very clear

well one, i thought that work is equal to the negative potential energy of the spring, two I am not sure how we can solve for the x value when you did not account for the spring constant

k=spring constant so it is accounted for. the negative sign is correct, but you also have to take into consideration that you will be taking the square root of the magnitude of the work. the negative simply implies direction--the spring is being compressed.

1. What is conservation of energy?

Conservation of energy is a fundamental law of physics that states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, it can only be transferred or converted from one form to another.

2. Why is conservation of energy important?

Conservation of energy is important because it helps us understand and predict the behavior of physical systems. It also plays a crucial role in the development of sustainable energy sources and the preservation of our natural resources.

3. How does conservation of energy relate to the environment?

Conservation of energy is closely related to the environment because it governs the energy flow within ecosystems. It also plays a critical role in reducing our impact on the environment by promoting energy efficiency and the use of renewable energy sources.

4. Are there any exceptions to the law of conservation of energy?

While the law of conservation of energy holds true in most cases, there are a few exceptions. For example, the law does not apply to systems with strong gravitational fields or in cases involving nuclear reactions.

5. How can we apply the concept of conservation of energy in our daily lives?

We can apply the concept of conservation of energy in our daily lives by being mindful of our energy use and finding ways to reduce it. This can include simple actions like turning off lights and unplugging electronics when not in use, as well as larger efforts like investing in energy-efficient appliances and using renewable energy sources.