1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conservation of (Energy vs Momentum)

1. May 21, 2014 #1
    1. A bullet (m1 = 0,01 kg) hits a ball hanging on a thread (m2 = 1kg) and stays in he ball (therefore new system = m1 + m2) and pushes the whole system into the height of 0,2m (max potential energy, Kinetic energy = 0) Calculate the speed initial speed of bullet (v) and the initial speed of whole system (v').

2. Law of Conservation of Energy: Ek + Ep = const.
    Law of Conservation of momentum: p1 + p2 = const.

3. So I've been doing the calculations with 2 different approaches and each gives a different result and I don't know why, so here they are:

Approach #1: Let the whole system be an isolated system. Therefore the kinetic energy of bullet should equal the potential energy of the whole bullet+ball system at the max Ep state. Therefore:

1/2 m1 v(bullet)^2 = (m1 + m2)gh

(Note that for symplification we consider g = 10m/s^2). So I get

v = sqrt{[2(m1+m2)gh]/m1}

which gives the speed of bullet approximately 20,1 m/s. Now for calculation the speed of the system (at Ep of system = 0 and Ek is max) I used similiar approach (Ek1 = Ek2) and got v' = 2m/s . Energy is equal at all times.

However here comes the second approach:

Conservation of momentum says that: m1v1 = (m1+m2)v' so let's use the law of conservation of energy once more, however let's start with the initial kinetic energy of system (ball + bullet) should equal the potential energy at it's max state. Therefore:

1/2(m1+m2)v'^2 = (m1+m2)gh

which gives the same result of speed of the system as v' = 2m/s.
    However now I use this speed in the law of conservation of momentum and get:

v(bullet) = ([m1+m2]v')/m1 which gives the speed of bullet as 202 m/s.

So here's the conflict: Working with the conservation of energy purely the speed of bullet is aproximately 20,1 m/s. Working with the conservation of momentum the speed is 202 m/s + when I start calculating the energy values, it differs! So I don't know which solution is correct and why. Thanks for help in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. May 21, 2014 #2
    The first method doesn't make sense because mechanical energy isn't conserved during the inelastic collision.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted