Velocity from spring pushing on 2 masses

I think that the poster is asking for an answer to his homework problem. I suspect that he's been given a value for m1 and m2, and wants to know how the answer is arrived at. However, my suspicion could be wrong.In summary, using the equations for conservation of energy and momentum, the velocities of two bodies, m1 and m2, can be calculated by solving the equations m1v1 = m2v2 and v1 = (m2/m1)√(kx^2/(m1+m2)). However, there may be a mistake in the given equation and further clarification is needed for the correct answer.
JoeyBob
Homework Statement
See attached
Relevant Equations
Ep=1/2kx^2, W=Ek
So i know Ek=123.48 from the potential energy that converts into kinetic energy (Ep=1/2kx^2).

Now by conservation of momentum, m1v1=m2v2

So m2Sqrt(2Ek/(m1+m2))=m1v1

This is where I am making a mistake I think, but not sure how.

Answer is suppose to be 4.44

Attachments

• Question.PNG
    Question.PNG
    10.5 KB · Views: 104
Physics news on Phys.org
So I tried something else

Ek=Ek1+Ek2

2Ek-m1/m2 * v1^2=v2^2

And substitute this into m1v1^2=m2v2^2, but this didn't give the right answer either.

Not sure how you arrive at some of the equations in post #1 and #2, but let's just reset:
Using conservation of energy (potential energy of spring=sum of kinetic energies) gives you one equation. I don't see this equation in post #1, I see some other equation which doesn't look right.
Using conservation of momentum you get the other equation ##m_1v_1=m_2v_2## which is correct from your post #1.

SO , you will have two equations with two unknowns the velocities of the two bodies ##v_1,v_2##.

Likes NTesla
JoeyBob said:
So m2Sqrt(2Ek/(m1+m2))=m1v1
I read that as ##v_1=\frac{m_2}{m_1}\sqrt{\frac{kx^2}{m_1+m_2}}##.
But that's not what I get. Please post your working.

Likes Delta2

1. What is the relationship between velocity and spring pushing on two masses?

The velocity of the two masses is directly proportional to the force applied by the spring. As the spring pushes on the masses, it transfers energy and causes them to accelerate, resulting in an increase in velocity.

2. How does the mass of the objects affect the velocity?

The mass of the objects does not directly affect the velocity, but it does affect the acceleration. According to Newton's second law, the acceleration of an object is inversely proportional to its mass. Therefore, a larger mass will experience a smaller acceleration and reach a lower velocity compared to a smaller mass.

3. Can the velocity be negative in this scenario?

Yes, the velocity can be negative if the direction of the force applied by the spring is opposite to the initial direction of motion of the masses. This would result in the masses decelerating and eventually moving in the opposite direction.

4. How does the stiffness of the spring affect the velocity?

The stiffness of the spring, also known as its spring constant, affects the velocity by determining the amount of force it can apply on the masses. A stiffer spring will be able to transfer more energy and cause a larger acceleration, resulting in a higher velocity.

5. Is there a maximum velocity that can be achieved with this setup?

Yes, there is a maximum velocity that can be achieved with this setup. The maximum velocity will depend on various factors such as the initial position and velocity of the masses, the stiffness of the spring, and any external forces acting on the system. However, in a controlled environment, the maximum velocity can be calculated using the principles of energy conservation.