1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conservation of energy with spring

1. Oct 12, 2008 #1
    1. A spring of constant 22 N/m is compressed a distance 8 cm by a 0.4kg mass, then released. It skids over a frictional surface of length 2.3m with coefficient of friction 0.17, then compresses the second spring of constant 2N/cm. The acceleration of gravity is 9.8m/s(squared). How far will the second spring cmpress in order to bring the mass to a stop? Answer in cm.

.5mgyf + .5Kdelta(X squared) = .5mgyo + .5Kdelta(Xsquared)
    also mgyf + 1/2mVf^2 = mgyo + 1/2mVo^2

3. I used all three formulas but the fact that I'm using cefficients is throwing me off.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2008 #2

Homework Helper

Hi fanie1031,

For consant forces the work done is:

W=F d \cos\theta
    where theta is the angle between the force and the displacement of the object. What would theta be for the work done by this frictional force? What would F and d be?

These two formulas do not apply to this problem. A good starting point for these problems is:

W_{\rm nc} = E_f - E_i

which means

(work done by non-conservative forces during displacement) = (energy at end of displacement) - (energy at beginning of displacement)

What does this give?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?