Conservation of linear momentum

In summary, the car covers 500 meters in 10 seconds after the grain drops. The car's initial momentum (before the drop) is not enough to overcome the momentum of the grain, so the car slows down. The grain leak has no significant effect on the car's speed.
daivinhtran

Homework Statement

A runaway 14,000 kg railroad car is rolling horizontally at 4.00 m/s toward a switchyard. As it passes by a grain elevator, 2000 of grain suddenly drops into the car. Suppose the there is a small vertical chute in the bottom of the car so that the grain leaks out at 10 kg/s. How long does it take the car to cover 500m

Homework Equations

Pi = Pf

The Attempt at a Solution

Picture attached

Attachments

• scan0002.pdf
    530 KB · Views: 218
Physics news on Phys.org
daivinhtran said:

Homework Statement

A runaway 14,000 kg railroad car is rolling horizontally at 4.00 m/s toward a switchyard. As it passes by a grain elevator, 2000 of grain suddenly drops into the car. Suppose the there is a small vertical chute in the bottom of the car so that the grain leaks out at 10 kg/s. How long does it take the car to cover 500m

Homework Equations

Pi = Pf

The Attempt at a Solution

Picture attached
What is the initial horizontal momentum of the car and how does that relate to the horizontal momentum of the car + grain after the grain drops? Can you determine the speed of the car + grain after the drop? What effect does the vertical leak of grain have on the horizontal speed of the car?

AM

Andrew Mason said:
What is the initial horizontal momentum of the car and how does that relate to the horizontal momentum of the car + grain after the grain drops? Can you determine the speed of the car + grain after the drop? What effect does the vertical leak of grain have on the horizontal speed of the car?

AM

I already included those in my paper (attached).
However I can't determine the speed of the car + grain after drop unless I know the time.

daivinhtran said:
I already included those in my paper (attached).
However I can't determine the speed of the car + grain after drop unless I know the time.
Sure you can. How does the horizontal momentum before the collision compare to the horizontal momentum after the collision? (hint: are there any forces acting in the horizontal direction that are external to the car - grain system?).

AM

Andrew is asking what the speed is immediately after the drop, i.e. t = 0.
Separately, he asks what affect the grain leak has on the car thereafter.

What is conservation of linear momentum?

Conservation of linear momentum is a fundamental principle in physics that states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant over time, unless acted upon by an external force.

Why is conservation of linear momentum important?

Conservation of linear momentum is important because it helps us understand how objects behave and interact with each other in a closed system. It allows us to predict the motion of objects and understand the forces acting on them.

What are the equations for conservation of linear momentum?

The equations for conservation of linear momentum are:

∑pinitial = ∑pfinal (total initial momentum equals total final momentum)

m1v1i + m2v2i = m1v1f + m2v2f (for two objects colliding)

How is conservation of linear momentum related to Newton's third law?

Conservation of linear momentum is related to Newton's third law, as the principle of conservation of momentum can be derived from Newton's third law of motion. According to Newton's third law, every action has an equal and opposite reaction, which means that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant.

What are some real-life examples of conservation of linear momentum?

Some real-life examples of conservation of linear momentum include a game of pool, where the total momentum of the balls remains constant after a collision, and a rocket launch, where the momentum of the rocket and the exhaust gases are equal and opposite in order to conserve momentum.