1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conservation of linear momentum

1. Oct 30, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A runaway 14,000 kg railroad car is rolling horizontally at 4.00 m/s toward a switchyard. As it passes by a grain elevator, 2000 of grain suddenly drops into the car. Suppose the there is a small vertical chute in the bottom of the car so that the grain leaks out at 10 kg/s. How long does it take the car to cover 500m

2. Relevant equations
    Pi = Pf

3. The attempt at a solution
    Picture attached

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2012 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What is the initial horizontal momentum of the car and how does that relate to the horizontal momentum of the car + grain after the grain drops? Can you determine the speed of the car + grain after the drop? What effect does the vertical leak of grain have on the horizontal speed of the car?

AM

4. Nov 2, 2012 #3
    I already included those in my paper (attached).
    However I can't determine the speed of the car + grain after drop unless I know the time.

5. Nov 3, 2012 #4

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sure you can. How does the horizontal momentum before the collision compare to the horizontal momentum after the collision? (hint: are there any forces acting in the horizontal direction that are external to the car - grain system?).

AM

6. Nov 3, 2012 #5

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Andrew is asking what the speed is immediately after the drop, i.e. t = 0.
    Separately, he asks what affect the grain leak has on the car thereafter.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook