Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conservation of Mass Fluids Wave

1. Jun 6, 2017 #1

joshmccraney

Gold Member

Hi PF! Suppose we have a water wave with mean depth ##H## with disturbance ##\zeta## above/below ##H## propagating through a channel of thickness ##b##. The book parenthetically remarks that the continuity equation becomes $$\partial_t(b(H+\zeta))+\partial_x(bHu)=0.$$ However, when I try deriving this I write $$\partial_t(b(H+\zeta) \Delta x )=ub(H+\zeta)|_x-b(H+\zeta)u|_{x+\Delta x}\implies\\
    \partial_t(b(H+\zeta))+\partial_x(b(H+\zeta)u)=0$$ which is not quite what they have. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 7, 2017 #2

Charles Link

Homework Helper

What you wrote appears correct to me. This is just a standard continuity equation ## \nabla \cdot \vec{J}+\frac{\partial{\rho}}{\partial{t}}=0 ## if I'm not mistaken. I don't think you can just drop the ## \zeta ## in the second term.

4. Jun 7, 2017 #3

joshmccraney

Gold Member

The book does, though they do say the channel is very long compared to height. Still, I agree with what you wrote, though I doubt the book made a mistake dropping the ##\zeta## since further work requires their version. Edit: I figured it out: I believe ##\zeta \sim A## where ##A## is wave amplitude. Also, ##u\sim A/P## where ##P## is wave period. Then ##uA\sim O(A^2/P)## and is very small relative to ##O(AL/P)##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted