Conservation Laws from Continuity Equations in Fluid Flow

In summary, Frankel's "The Geometry of Physics" discusses how differential forms can be used to generalize Reynolds Transport Theorem. By doing so, it is possible to determine the conservation of mass when considering a flow of fluid. However, this conservation is not always explicit and must be inferred.
Stuart_M
TL;DR Summary
There is a version of Reynolds Transport Theorem for differential forms: what is the conserved quantity?
Consider a fluid flow with density ##\rho=\rho(t,x)## and velocity vector ##v=v(t,x)##. Assume it satisfies the continuity equation
$$
\partial_t \rho + \nabla \cdot (\rho v) = 0.
$$
We now that, by Reynolds Transport Theorem (RTT), this implies that the total mass is conserved
$$
\frac{d}{dt}\int_{\Omega_t} \rho dx = 0,
$$
where ##\Omega_t## is some control volume (which I understand in the following way: I fix a region ##\Omega## at time ##0##; I let ##\Omega## evolve with the flow at time ##t## and I obtain ##\Omega_t=\Phi_t(\Omega)##). I have recently been reading Frankel's "The Geometry of Physics" and I've learnt that using differential forms it is possible to generalise (RTT) in the following way (see Chapter 4, Section 3):
$$
\frac{d}{dt} \int_{S(t)} \alpha = \int_{S(t)} (\partial_t \alpha + L_v \alpha)
$$
where now ##\alpha## are (time-indexed family of) ##p##-forms, ##S## is a fixed ##p##-manifold and ##S(t) = \Phi_t(S)## is the evolution of ##S## under the flow of ##v##, and ##L_v## denotes the Lie derivative. From this we easily deduce that, if a ##p##-form satisfies the "continuity equation"
$$
\partial_t \alpha + L_v \alpha = 0
$$
then the quantity ##\int_{S(t)} \alpha## is constant in time. If ##\alpha## is a (top-dimensional) volume form, then we recover (RTT) and thus the conservation of *mass*. However, in the general case what does the quantity ##\int_{S(t)} \alpha## represent?

I have considered some easy toy examples: if ##\alpha = f## is a ##0##-form (i.e. scalar function), then the "continuity equation" reads ##\partial_t f + v \cdot \nabla f = 0##, whence ##f(t,\Phi_t(x)) = f(0,x)## and indeed this can be expressed as "conservation of the integral of ##f## on 0-dimensional manifolds". However, which quantity is conserved?

Another example [taken from Frankel, ibidem]: in Euler, the vorticity *form* ##\omega=d \nu## (##\nu## being the velocity *co*vector) is invariant under the flow, i.e. solves the continuity equation in the sense of 2-forms. Therefore,
$$
\int_{S(t)} \omega
$$
is constant for any 2-manifold ##S##. Which conservation law am I rediscovering? Which conserved quantity is this?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
In fluid mechanics, we have transport equations for the following:

Global quantityLocal quantity
MassDensity
MomentumMomentum per unit volume
EnergyEnergy per unit volume
Amount of substanceConcentration
(No standard name)Vorticity
Concentration is either amount per unit mass or amount per unit volume.

Note that [itex]\int \alpha[/itex] is not necessarily conserved itself; it is also necessary to account for sources and sinks of the quantity.

pasmith said:
In fluid mechanics, we have transport equations for the following:

Global quantityLocal quantity
MassDensity
MomentumMomentum per unit volume
EnergyEnergy per unit volume
Amount of substanceConcentration
(No standard name)Vorticity
Concentration is either amount per unit mass or amount per unit volume.

Note that [itex]\int \alpha[/itex] is not necessarily conserved itself; it is also necessary to account for sources and sinks of the quantity.
Thank you for your reply and for the table.
I am not sure I am able to see the link with my question with differential forms, though. Is there a way to phrase the momentum per unit volume (or the energy per unit volume) as a differential form? If so, can we say that this form satisfies the "continuity equation" (in the right formulation) and deduce the conservation of the corresponding global quantity? But this would seem strange to me: by the generalized RTT we would we get the conservation of this quantity only when "integrated" over some p-dimensional manifold (I'm in an ideal world, no sinks/sources for the time being). What does this mean? Is this some sort of generalized flux? I'm sorry for my confusion, I hope somebody can shed some light here. Thanks!

1. What are conservation laws in fluid flow?

Conservation laws in fluid flow refer to the principles that state the total amount of mass, energy, and momentum in a fluid system remains constant over time, even as the fluid flows and changes. These laws are based on the concept of continuity, which states that the rate of change of a fluid's properties in a given volume is equal to the net flow of those properties into or out of that volume.

2. How are conservation laws related to continuity equations?

Continuity equations are mathematical expressions of conservation laws in fluid flow. They describe how the properties of a fluid, such as mass, energy, and momentum, are conserved as the fluid flows and changes. These equations are derived from the principles of conservation of mass, energy, and momentum, and are essential for understanding and predicting fluid behavior.

3. What is the significance of conservation laws in fluid flow?

Conservation laws in fluid flow are crucial for understanding and predicting the behavior of fluids in various systems, such as in engineering, environmental, and biological applications. They allow scientists and engineers to analyze and design systems that involve fluid flow, such as pumps, turbines, and pipelines, with a high degree of accuracy and efficiency.

4. How are conservation laws applied in real-world scenarios?

Conservation laws in fluid flow are applied in various real-world scenarios, such as in the design and operation of hydraulic systems, water distribution networks, and air conditioning systems. They are also used in environmental studies to model and predict the movement of pollutants in water bodies and the atmosphere. In addition, conservation laws are essential for understanding and predicting weather patterns and ocean currents.

5. Are there any limitations to conservation laws in fluid flow?

While conservation laws in fluid flow are powerful tools for understanding and predicting fluid behavior, they do have some limitations. These laws assume that the fluid is incompressible and has a constant density, which may not always be the case in real-world scenarios. Additionally, they do not account for the effects of turbulence, viscosity, and other complex phenomena that may occur in fluid flow. Therefore, it is essential to use conservation laws in conjunction with other mathematical models and experimental data for a more accurate understanding of fluid flow.