Conservation of momentum and velocity question

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 1K views
affordable
Messages
6
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement




The 1000N stone box is supported by
two steel cylinders A and B at 100N each. The system is at rest
in the position shown when the constant
force P = 100N is applied.

Determine the velocity of the stone box C when cylinder A
has reached the left corner of the box.

http://img801.imageshack.us/i/unledom.jpg/

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



Ugh. It logged me out, so my explanation will be pretty weak.

What I did was use the circumference of a circle as 20/(30pi) as the distance needed to get the cylinder to the end. I used F=ma to find the acceleration of the box in the x direction is 1/10 in/sec^2.

From here, I'm unsure. I assume that this is a momentum problem that transfers energy to the cylinders, but I'm not for sure which formula to use.

I'm thinking about using total work-.5mv^2+.5*I*(omega)^2.

Would the acceleration in the x direction be equal for the cylinders and the box?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
hi affordable! :smile:

(have an omega: ω and try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box :wink:)
affordable said:
Would the acceleration in the x direction be equal for the cylinders and the box?

nooo :redface: …

what are the speeds of the top middle and bottom of the cylinder? :wink:
I'm thinking about using total work-.5mv^2+.5*I*(omega)^2.

that's the one!

now plug in a formula relating v and ω, and solve :smile: