Conservation of Momentum, Energy

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a bullet colliding with a wooden block connected to a spring. The maximum compression of the spring is being calculated using the equations for momentum, kinetic energy, and spring potential energy. After some discussion and calculations, the correct answer is found to be 0.0497 meters.
SuperCass

Homework Statement

A bullet with mass 20 grams and velocity 100 m/s collides with a wooden block of mass 2 kg. The wooden block is initially at rest, and is connected to a spring with k = 800 N/m. The other end of the spring is attached to an immovable wall. What is the maximum compression of the spring?

Homework Equations

p=mv
K=.5mv^2
Spring potential energy = .5kx^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried doing M(bullet)V(initial) = [M(bullet) + M(block)][Vfinal], and then I used that final velocity in the energy equation .5mv^2 = .5kx^2 to find x. I keep getting the answer to be .49 meters, but this isn't correct.

What am I doing wrong?
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you have the concepts correct and are just doing the numbers wrong. With these inputs, 0.5mv^2~=1J = 0.5 kx^2, so x^2 ~= 1/400 m^2. How are you getting 0.49m?

Whoops, I mean I keep getting .049 meters.

But still, doing what you said isn't giving me the right answer!

Okay, I got it, never mind!

I was doing it correctly, I just didn't put in an exact enough answer!

It ended up being .0497!

I would like to commend you for using the conservation of momentum and energy equations to approach this problem. However, it seems like you may have made a slight error in your calculations. Let's take a closer look at the problem and see if we can find the correct solution.

First, let's consider the initial momentum of the system. Before the collision, the bullet has a momentum of p = mv = (0.02 kg)(100 m/s) = 2 kg m/s. Since the wooden block is initially at rest, the total initial momentum of the system is also 2 kg m/s.

Next, let's consider the final momentum of the system. After the collision, the bullet and the block will move together with a final velocity, let's call it vf. Using the conservation of momentum equation, we can set up the following equation:

2 kg m/s = (0.02 kg + 2 kg)(vf)

Solving for vf, we get vf = 0.01 m/s. This means that the bullet and the block will move together with a final velocity of 0.01 m/s.

Now, let's look at the energy equation. The initial kinetic energy of the system is given by K = 0.5mv^2 = 0.5(0.02 kg)(100 m/s)^2 = 100 J. After the collision, this kinetic energy is converted into potential energy stored in the spring. Using the spring potential energy equation, we can set up the following equation:

100 J = 0.5(800 N/m)(x^2)

Solving for x, we get x = 0.05 m. This means that the spring will compress by 0.05 meters, or 5 cm.

So, the maximum compression of the spring is actually 5 cm, not 0.49 meters as you initially calculated. It's possible that you may have made a mistake in your calculations or in setting up the equations. I would recommend going back and double-checking your work to see where the error may have occurred.

In conclusion, as a scientist, it's important to carefully check and review our calculations and equations to ensure accuracy and avoid errors. It's also helpful to break down the problem into smaller parts and consider the physical principles involved, such as conservation of momentum and energy, to guide our approach. Good luck with your future problem-solving endeavors!

1. What is the law of conservation of momentum?

The law of conservation of momentum states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant, unless acted upon by an external force.

2. How is momentum conserved in collisions?

In a collision, the total momentum before and after the collision must be equal. This means that the sum of the momentums of the objects involved in the collision must be the same before and after the collision.

3. What is the relationship between momentum and mass?

Momentum is directly proportional to mass. This means that the greater the mass of an object, the greater its momentum will be.

4. How does the conservation of energy relate to the conservation of momentum?

The conservation of energy and the conservation of momentum are closely related. In a closed system, energy cannot be created or destroyed, and the same is true for momentum. This means that the total amount of energy and momentum in a system will remain constant.

5. Why is conservation of momentum and energy important in physics?

Conservation of momentum and energy are fundamental principles in physics and play a crucial role in understanding the behavior of objects and systems. They help us predict and explain the motion of objects and the interactions between them.