1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conservation of momentum in one direction (add or subtract?)

1. Jun 25, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hey everyone! I'm new to these forums so I apologize in advance if I do something wrong! I just had a quick question about the momentum in one direction equation m_1v_1o +/- m_2v_2o = m_1v_1f +/- m_2v_2f; I'm just not sure when I'm supposed to add these values and when I'm supposed to subtract them. I thought it had to do with the objects vector, but there is conflicting questions in my lesson (I think at least). I'm doing an online course so I don't really have a teacher to ask lol
    For example:
    Football player 1 with a mass of 110kg is moving at 8.0m/s when he crashes into football player 2 with a mass of 105kg, moving at 12 m/s [N]. During the tackle football player 1 holds onto football player 2, giving them the same velocity after 0.30s.
    a) Find the final velocity of each player after collision

In a Physics experiment, a 1.2kg cart1 is moving at 3.2m/s [R], when it collides with a 1.8kg cart 2 which is moving at 5.8m/s[L]. After the collision cart1 is moving at 7.6m/s[L].Find the velocity for cart2 after the collision.
    2. Relevant equations
    m_1v_1o + m_2v_2o= (m_1+m_2)v_f
    m_1v_1o - m_2v_2o = m_1v_1f + m_2v_2f
    3. The attempt at a solution
    So for the football one my book shows;
    Let [N] be positive
    P_to=P_tf
    m_1v_1o + m_2v_2o= (m_1+m_2)v_f
    (110kg)(-8.0m/s)+(105kg)(12m/s)= (110kg +105kg)v_f
    v_f=1.77m/s[N]

For the Physics experiment one:
    P_1o-P_2o=P_1f+P_2f
    Let [R] be positive;
    m_1v_1o - m_2v_2o = m_1v_1f + m_2v_2f
    (1.2kg)(3.2m/s)-(1.8kg)(5.8m/s)=-(1.2kg)(7.6m/s)+(1.8kg)v_2f
    -6.6kgm/s= -9.12kgm/s + (1.8kg)v_2f
    v_2f= 1.4m/s [R]
    So Is it because the two forces are combining in the first that you add? and in the second one they bounce away so you subtract?
    Sorry if this is a really simple question, I haven't done physics in almost 8 years!
    Thank you in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 25, 2015 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Is there a reason most of your text is struck out? Did you still have a question?

4. Jun 26, 2015 #3
    Put (+) everywhere and use vector direction to see the correct sign.

5. Jul 13, 2015 #4
    Hey sorry everyone I didn't respond I went on vacation and dint have internet but i figured it out thank you both!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted