1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conservation of angular momentum invariance

1. Sep 15, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Given a reference frame O' moving at a constant speed $\vec{V}$ in relation to another reference frame O, I want to prove that

##\vec{r_{1B}} \times m_1\vec{v_{1B}} + \vec{r_{2B}} \times m_2\vec{v_{2B}} = \vec{r_{1F}} \times m_1\vec{v_{1F}} + \vec{r_{2F}} \times m_2\vec{v_{2F}}##

in O is equal to

##\vec{r'_{1B}} \times m_1\vec{v'_{1B}} + \vec{r'_{2B}} \times m_2\vec{v'_{2B}} = \vec{r'_{1F}} \times m_1\vec{v'_{1F}} + \vec{r'_{2F}} \times m_2\vec{v'_{2F}}##

in O'. The particles 1 and 2 are colliding (elastic collision). B stands for before the collision and F, after the collision.

2. Relevant equations

Galilean transformation gives :

##\vec{r} = \vec{r'} + \vec{V}t## and ##\vec{v} = \vec{v'} + \vec{V}##

3. The attempt at a solution

Substituting these expressions into the first equation and developing the cross products, I obtain, after having cancelled out 8 terms (because of the conservation of linear momentum),

##\vec{r'_{1B}} \times m_1\vec{v'_{1B}} + \vec{r'_{1B}} \times m_1\vec{V} + \vec{r'_{2B}} \times m_2\vec{v'_{2B}} + \vec{r'_{2B}} \times m_2\vec{V} = \vec{r'_{1F}} \times m_1\vec{v'_{1F}} + \vec{r'_{1F}} \times m_1\vec{V} + \vec{r'_{2F}} \times m_2\vec{v'_{2F}} + \vec{r'_{2F}} \times m_2\vec{V}##

My problem is that I do not know how to cancel out the ##\vec{r'_{1B}} \times m_1\vec{V}## terms... How do I do that? Thanks!

Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2015 #2
    The sum of these terms across all particles = (total mass * position of the center of mass) X V . This quantity is preserved in collisions, since the center of mass and total mass don't change. [In addition, it is preserved across the Galilean transformation also, since r' - r is a multiple of V so contributed nothing to the cross product]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted