1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conservation of Momentum initial velocity curved path

1. Apr 7, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The frictionless track is made of a straight horizontal section and a quarter-circle with radius R = 5 m. A 1 Kg lump of putty is thrown toward the stationary 4 Kg block, and the block starts to slide with the putty stuck on it after the collision. If the normal force acting on the block/putty from the track is 98 N at point B, find the initial speed v0 of the putty.

2. Relevant equations
    m1v0=(m1+m2)(vf)
    ....energy equation?

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have been trying to use the energy equation to solve this problem but I am getting nowhere. The answer is 70 m/s. I can't seem to figure out what the velocity would be at the bottom of the arc. According to a(norm)=v^2/R, I found that v=9.8995 but don't know what to do with that...

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 7, 2009 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Well depending on where B is the velocity would be different.

But say B is just at the bottom of the arc, then on the arc the forces acting are the Normal force R and the weight W. The resultant of these two gives mv^2/r

[tex]\frac{mv^2}{r}=R-W[/tex]

so find v from that.

Then put that into the momentum equation.

4. Apr 7, 2009 #3
    Ok I got it now. Thanks for the help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook