1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conservation of momentum physics homework

1. Mar 29, 2008 #1
    when a body explode into two different masses, and fly apart.
    will the two mass have same kinetic energy, or will it experience same force on it during explosion????

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 29, 2008 #2
    I don't know what you mean with "will it experience same force on it during explosion"

you can solve this with conservation of momentum.
    Suppose the masses are m_1 and m_2 and the masses fly off with speeds v_1 and v_2
    what was the initial momentum before the explosion?
    what do you know about the directions that the masses will take?
    give an equation with conservation of momentum relating m_1, m_2, v_1 and v_2

now combine this equation with the assumption that the masses have the same energy.
    what can this tell you about m_1 and m_2?

4. Mar 29, 2008 #3
    but, it is not linear momentum.
    so, how to apply the law of conservation of momentum if the two masses are moving in an angle with respect to each other.
    so u r saying that the two masses have kinetic energy???

5. Mar 29, 2008 #4
    If there are just two masses flying away, they must do this in opposite directions to make the total momentum zero.
    you should try to be more accurate. I suppose you meant "That the two masses have the same kinetic energy" and I did not say that.
    I just wanted you to combine this assumption with conservation of momentum, and see what that tells you about the two masses.

6. Mar 29, 2008 #5
    thanx, but the the two masses is not moving in the opposite direction, each of the two motion path makes a different angle with respect to ground.
    so, what same quantities do the two masses possessed?

7. Mar 29, 2008 #6
    It is not possible that two masses' paths have different angles after explosion (in the exploding body's referent system)

8. Mar 29, 2008 #7
    OK, thanx guys

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?